Easier Fix for Video Loss on TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jmlight, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jmlight

jmlight New Member

Oct 5, 2005

Advertisements

Many of us have experienced total video loss when using our TIVO's. Rather than reboot which can be a lengthy process - I have found that turning the TV off and then back on resets the signals so that I once again have video. It's much quicker than resetting the TIVO

This is a ridiculous work-around and should be fixed by TIVO ...

2. Fuzz

Fuzz Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Maryland
    I have a S3 and the off/on trick only works for me if I have no sound or if the colors are messed up (usually with no sound as well).

I have found when I have the black screen, there is nothing I can do but reboot by pulling the plug.

I'm so fed up with this problem, I've switched to component video to see if that helps (Tivo support said it would), but I'd really like to use my HDMI cable.

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Sounds to me like the problem might be in the cable. "Rebooting" the tv should not have the same effect as rebooting the tivo unless it's a handshake issue.

4. YupYup

YupYup Member

Sep 13, 2006
    From what I've read in other threads, it would indeed appear to be a handshake issue with TiVo and some TVs. While there may be blame on both party's side, if it is something that really annoys you, you might want to consider replacing your TV. Its not a cheap solution, but its probably the quickest one you'll get. Replacing your TiVo won't help, I think others have tried that. But there are TVs out there that do play nice with TiVo.

I have 2 S3 units feeding a Sharp 46 inch 1080p LCD via HDMI, and I've had absolutely no lost video problems. I've this combination running since February, when I got the Sharp LCD.

5. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

Also note that if rebooting either side of the handshake resolves the problem, then the problem could be on either side, i.e., the problem could be in the television.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    An easier solution is to run it through an HDMI switch. Toggle the power on the switch along with turning the TV off the on. The few times this has happened to me either cycling the inputs and/or the power to the Tv solved it. But at least for me it is an extremely rare occurance with my Westinghouse, Samsung, HP, and Toshiba HD sets.

7. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Even easier, if your connection is now via hdmi, try switching to component cable.

8. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I don't get a loss of video through HDMI except for a second or two on occasion when I first turn on the TiVo, but occasionally I do get a loss of sound through HDMI with my Sony WEGA HiDef CRT.

When this happens, I simply toggle through the other inputs and the sound comes back.

9. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I got the same thing happened yesterday during Heroes.
    I turned on the TV at 9:24, and there was no signal. I turned the TV off imediately to prevent the Tivo from rebooting and messing up the recoring. Regardless, 4 minutes later (9:28) it restarted on its own. The restart finished by 9:34 and the recording resumed. However the first part of the recording was 24 minutes, and not 28 as I expected. So seems like when the Tivo fails to connect to the TV part of it freezes and later reboots (but the clock didn't freeze, as I could see it going up from 9:24 to 9:28).

This is the 3rd time I've seen this. Before I have tried to turn off the TV (from the power button and from the plug), to disconnect and reconnect the cable, etc. but haven't found a way to resume the connection without a reboot.

The problem started right after the 9.1 update, and still happens with 9.2. I've had the same Tivo and TV since January with no problems...

10. sfdukester

sfdukester New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I've seen this or a similar problem, but I've only noticed it on watching recorded programs, not necessarily HD. I usually get the color problem when I first turn on the TV or when I swith to the Tivo Menu. I've found in this case, turning the TV on/off usually resolves the problem. Interestingly on the picture going blank, it's usually on a playback. If I immediately pause the program toggle the TV on/off, it usually resolves the issue as well. Some times it take a couple of on-offs.

I've never rebooted my TiVo for this problem, or had it reboot on its own.

I only see this on my TV that has an S3 w/ HDMI connection (to a Philips 48" Plasma, with intellilight). Up stairs I have a new HD/Tivo that connects via component cables to a Toshiba LCD and I don't see any of these problem.

I'm seeing folks are saying it might be the TV, but I don't seem many folks commenting on their TV type. If those seeing problem would list the type of TV they have, I think that would be helpful.

Does anyone know what TiVo is doing about this issue?

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The TiVo software appears to have a kind of fail-safe in it. If it ever gets stuck in a weird state or a single process starts sucking up a lot of resources, it reboots. Usually before this happens the GUI will get extremely sluggish or stop responding altogether since the TiVo is struggling to keep up.

It's normally a good thing it does this since otherwise the TiVo would just sit there and do nothing until you manually restarted it.

In this case though it is being triggered by something that is common (turning on the TV) which is bad.

12. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I had the problem again today. I turned on the TV, and pressed the Tivo button twice while the TV was starting up (it is a habit of mine to go to the Now Playing menu by the TV is up - maybe that's causing the problem). I got the blank screen again...
    While the Tivo was powered down I connected it to the TV with a composite cable as well. The next time I get a video loss I can try the composite input to see if the Tivo is frozen or not. I'm hoping if I switch the Tivo to standby and then back on maybe it will reset the HDMI connection...

Ivo