1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I'm sure there was another topic about this.

Twice today I have had to restart iHeartRadio, although the warning was for my county each time.

Why does Spectrum get to take over my Roamio every time there is an EAS?

I started to just say "I don't WANT to know who the Baby Daddy is. Jer-REE! Jer-REE!

2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    The government requires the takeover. The government does not require the TiVo box to forget where it was and not take you back there though. That's entirely on TiVo's rotten implementation.

Noelmel likes this.
  3. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Yeah, I was thinking a software improvement was in order.

The government also made it impossible for me to rely on an antenna, since only analog TV works well where I live.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You’re right about that — many of them. Try search, but don’t expect any solutions or satisfaction. You can listen to iHeart Radio on numerous other devices without EAS interruptions.

TiVo gives me weather warnings for places 70 miles away for weather that never threatens me.

Noelmel likes this.
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    What I have yet to figure out is what is the value of Amber alerts on your TV. If you you are out in in your car, where you might see the victim, you aren't watching TV and seeing the alert. And if you are sitting in front of your TV in your home, you aren't going to see the victim. So what's the point?

6. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Yeah, that happens to me. I don't have those devices. Maybe Bolt because it's not connected to cable, but it has WiFi. That could be a problem. There's too much chance of the desktop freezing is there's something unnecessary.

7. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Member

May 22, 2020
    I suppose someone believes you might remember the alert, and the next time you walk out the door you might see the silver sedan, license play 123Q321, drive by and you will immediately call 911 to report it.

In any case, if you wish change, you (and a few hundred thousand of your closest friends) need to talk with your elected representatives to discuss/argue your points, as the cable company is required to broadcast the alerts issued by duly appointed representatives of your government.

8. Jun 5, 2020 #8 of 17
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    There were two tests today. There's supposed to be one WEEKLY test.

Actually, I don't know what happened the first time but when I went in the room the second time there didn't seem to be any important information.

9. Jun 5, 2020 #9 of 17
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Maury has baby daddy episodes
    Jerry has "my lesbian sister left my cousin for a tranny"

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    If you look closely, usually these are from different local authorities that happen to be covered by your cable system. Each does its own tests. Unless it was two within a few minutes of each other, in which case, those are probably part of the same test.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not possible with apps. The app would not only have to report to TiVo what’s playing at all times, and the users position, but also support deep linking so TiVo could restart the app where you left off.

If they had more memory they could hold the apps in RAM and just launch you back to where you were, like some streaming devices do, but they only seem to have enough for one and that’s Netflix.

12. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Well, the tests happen at two different times. I just know I was sent back to "Jer-REE! Jer-REE!" in some cases and "You're not the father" in others.

13. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    With a lack of memory and a massive hard drive, seems like it would be a good place to use paging - write the application's state to a file on the disk and load it back in after the EAS. Sure, it'd be slow, but better than what we have now.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Good point. They use some sort of flash/SSD to store the OS portion too, so it wouldn’t even be that slow.

But as someone mentioned above they don’t even bother to return you to a recorded show, which they could, so obviously this isn’t something they really care about.

15. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    True, that's something that's arsed me for years.

I'd also like to hear how often this happens for people - not sure if NWS Milwaukee just doesn't send too many alerts out, but I think I've had it happen 3-5 times in four years of living in SE Wisconsin.

Got my first one this year after moving down to Lake County, IL - for a "possible tornado-spawning thunderstorm" nearly eighty miles away on the other side of Chicago.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We have monthly tests, from a few different systems, so we get them a lot. They're typically late at night when most people are asleep, but they can still mess up recordings.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Same for trying to do anything from the guide while watching a recording - if you try to schedule a 1P, make changes to a recording etc. you're dumped back to freaking live TV after you're done.

Poor programming.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020