Early closed captions are driving me nuts

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rambler, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Just upgraded from Series 2 and Standard Def TV, to Premiere and Panasonic Plasma Hi Def.

Cable (TWC) runs to tuning adapter, that is then connected to the tivo. Tivo is then connected to the TV via HDMI.

I can't use the TV for captions due to HDMI. So I run them thru the Tivo. Problem is, they are a second early in general, no matter what I am watching.

I have the digital captions OFF. That didn't make any difference.

Any advice????

Thanks!

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I highly highly highly doubt that the Tivo's closed caption decoder is any different than any other device's.

I've seen early/late captions on both my old TV's CC and on my Tivos... though the TV was the analog captions, and the Tivos are [sometimes?] the digital captions. In fact, once in a while I see some text WAY early.. then a whole bunch of text really quickly. That seems to be when there's a LOOOOT of text, and the captioner had to start early to fit it in (the closed captioning bandwidth is VERY limited, at least the original analog captions).

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Is it EVERY captioned show? Certain channels? Random shows but lots of them?

Let's narrow it down and see if we can figure out where the problem may be. I am a 100% caption viewer (deaf), so I *really* sympathize with you.

4. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Going back to my old setup where the TV (not the S2 Tivo) provided the captions, there was always variability in when captions appeared relative to when the actors spoke. That was a function of the show and-or network.

However, with the new set up the captions are all appearing earlier than they had. Everyone in the house has noticed it. Last night "Remember the Titans" was on ABCFamily HD. Captions were appearing a full second earlier on the new setup than on a different TV w/o Tivo.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    If it's every show, or lots & lots of shows on many different channels, I gotta think it's related to your carrier (Comcast, TW, etc). OTOH, others would have complained before you... :confused:

If it's certain channels, it is quite likely a bug at that station. I was having problems with FOX HD (but not SD), and in multiple communications with the programming director of the local affiliate (and the tech people), we discovered they needed to update some piece of equipment to work properly with HD. This was in the early days of HD.

I'm almost thinking it may be your equipment (the Premiere). Maybe you have a bad one. Can't even imagine what could go bad to cause this, but I'm reaching for answers here...