E-mail can't be reached, insufficient perms to post...

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by terpfan1980, Dec 15, 2020.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

You had a banner showing my e-mail address and saying attempts to reach me via e-mail had failed and that I needed to update my e-mail address.

The e-mail address was fine as was.

I changed to an alternate e-mail address (non gmail) and confirmed that address, but I check that address much less frequently and would prefer to continue to use the gmail address which had worked fine up through most of the day, including getting messages from threads that I had been watching.

Because the e-mail had not been working I apparently was locked out to the point that even posting here to report the issue was blocked. Not a great experience for a user.

pldoolittle likes this.
  2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Did you see all the news about the Gmail outages today?

3. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Yes, and no. Yes, I've seen issues with gmail discussed. No, I wasn't having any issue with them that I could see.

I was just able to change back to using Gmail address. At least I know how to work around it again if necessary.

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    You found one. :cool: I'm missing some too.

5. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002

Advertisements

So if a user's email provider has a brief outage (as gmail did), and TC attempts to contact them unsuccessfully during that period, the system locks them out completely?
    And there is no mechanism to tell the locked out user why they are locked out or how to fix it??
    And the only fix is to supply a different email account??

I'm sorry, but this "feature" of the forum is not well designed.

For those with gmail: Gmail ignores all periods in your username. Add a period and the system will think you changed your email. And gmail will deliver the email verification just fine.