Dying MoCA network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ccoulson, Apr 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    Hi. I have a Roamio Plus acting as the MoCA bridge for 4 Tivo Minis. 1 Tivo Mini lost network connectivity to the Roamio and now all 4 are out. The Roamio itself is behaving fine. I have checked the splitter (I have a weird coax wiring where I have two loops and one home run) and it's amplifier. I have also verified that the MoCA filter is still in place. When I try to restart MoCA Bridge from the Roamio I get an error that MoCA services cannot be started. I've also tried restarting the Roamio and the Minis. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to check signal over the coax.

At this point, I can't tell if this is a wiring/Comcast issue (they installed the filter and splitter/amplifer) or if it's a Tivo hardware/configuration problem. Does the MoCA hardware onboard the Roamio Plus have a tendency to fail? Any ideas? Thanks,

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It is possible that one or more MoCA devices can fail and a stand alone MoCA adapter may be what is needed eventually, but I would try first pulling the power cord on everything from the cable modem, router, and all Tivos. Then slowly start powering each device back on and allowing it to fully boot before moving to the next device....ending with the minis and see if you have any luck recovering your MoCA setup. Also check all coax connections to make sure they are tight.
    Comcast didn't swap out your cable modem/gateway did they?

3. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    All connections are tight and secured and everything has been restarted one device at a time. Comcast did upgrade my cable/voice modem but that was 6 months+ ago.

4. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    As an aside question - how good is Best Buy Geek Squad at figuring out Tivo Mini/MoCA issues?

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I never had any experience with the Geek Squad, but in terms of MoCA troubleshooting, you will likely get the best info here for certain.
    PS. It is kind of good to try some suggestions and report back on the progress to get the best results.
    Most of Comcast's gateways have MoCA builtin. Can you login to the gateway and see if you can find the MoCA setting function. If it is there, you may be able to use it's MoCA instead of the Roamios.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Restarting each device isn’t the same as the full power reset suggested by @fcfc2, where *everything* is first powered-off ... and then individual devices are powered-on and allowed to complete startup before proceeding to the next device. (Typical recommended startup order: modem, router, switches, MoCA bridge, MoCA adapters, MoCA clients.)

As @fcfc2 said, it’s possible this device has built-in MoCA bridging functionality, and it’s also possible that Comcast enabled its MoCA bridging (where it was previously disabled) which would create a conflict with the DVR’s MoCA bridge.

What is the brand & model # of your cable modem? Is it a combo modem/router (i.e. gateway), and are you using it as a gateway, or are you using your own third-party router? Can you access the Comcast gateway’s UI to determine its current MoCA status, or do the device status LEDs provide any insight?

A description or diagram (better) of how your devices connect via coax to each other and the signal source would be helpful, along with details Re: the amplifier model and any splitters.

For example:

Attached Files:

7. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    Thanks all! Yes, I did try completely powering down each component, then powering up one by one. This still did not resolve my MoCA issue. MoCA *is* supported on my Xfinity Gateway (a Technicolor CGM4140COM) but was not enabled. I tried enabling MoCA on the Gateway and setting up the Roamio as a MoCA client rather than bridge. Everything works! So, there is *still* some issue with the Roamio acting as a bridge - but everything is working at this point.

fcfc2 likes this.
  8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Glad you came up with a solution but in the past, Comcast had a habit of periodically (3-4days) of refreshing the firmware on their gateways. The effect of this was to again disable the MoCA on the gateway. The fix if this happens for you, is to call Comcast tech support and ask that your gateway be put on a "white list" which will then remove your gateway from being refreshed again and again.