Dying hacked two drive HR10-250

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Kardinal, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Kardinal

Kardinal New Member

Jan 27, 2003

Advertisements

I have a problem with my HR10-250.

It is a hacked unit, which I had someone else hack for me, and add on a 400GB hard drive, and it has worked pretty well for about 2½ years.

However, it's going downhill. About a year ago it had some stability problems, and I did a wipe of all scheduling and programming data, forcing me to reconstruct my rather extensive SP list. This improved things for a while, but in teh last few months it's gotten really bad.

It reboots itself about once to twice a week, usually when recording on both tuners. We had a "Green Screen of Death" which we thankfully recovered from without effort. But this level of unreliability is, as I'm sure you know, totally unacceptable.

I suspect I have either a corrupt OS/program or a bad hard drive. I can pull the drive(s) out and run hardware level diagnostics on them, but the fundamental issue is that I have no backup of my original 250GB hard drive. So I don't know what I could do even if I got new hard drives to put in there.

Perusing a few of the threads on here, it seems that I can just do a Linux DD copy of the existing drive to a new drive, and that since it is byte-level, it should work. But I have two drives that are married. Do I just DD both of them? Presumably this gets partition information as well, so if I bought two 500GB, 750GB, or 1TB drives, I would not realize additional space, correct? Is there any way to expand it?

Suggestions would be more than welcome. What should my next step(s) be?

2. jhatfield

jhatfield bunghole

Dec 2, 2003
    Anytime I have hard drive problems with a tivo I run SpinRite on it. www.grc.com It's well worth it. I've used it successfully at least half a dozen times on tivo drives.

3. Klydeman

Klydeman Member at Large

Dec 27, 2005
    My HR10-250 had been running good for a little over a year. Last year I updated to 6.3c and recently was running into the reboots (a couple of times a day). (no green screen though).

I have (2) 500GB Seagate Drives. I pulled the drives and re-imaged and re-hacked and all is fine. I bought the latest 6.3f instant cake image and rezippered. Backup your SP's, check the drives with spinrite, if it's all well, re-image and hope fully all will be well too. If you have not done this, it's pretty easy just to instantcake the image on.

I'm not of the opinion it's worth it to spend any money on the HR10-250 since DTV has more or less, made it obsolete by taking away the HD locals. So just to re-image the drive is a no brainer.