Dying drive with cobelli hack, might as well upgrade/zipper question

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by WaveFanatic, Jul 13, 2007.

1. WaveFanatic

WaveFanatic New Member

Sep 14, 2003

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well my 80 GB tivo drive is now on its last legs. I hear bad clicks and thumps and the Tivo screens are crawling. It was hacked using the very old Cobelli guide. Since I want to go to a 120GB, I just need a recommendation on should I proceed.

Should I, reconnect the original 40GB, let it upgrade off the phone line, then dd copy to the new 120GB and Zipper it ? Or should I, connect the phone line with the original 80G to upgrade and dd copy and Zipper the 120GB?

Ohh, its a HDVR2.

TIA
    Robert

2. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    The image off the drive can only be expanded 1 time so either use the original 40GB drive or get get an image online (either a begged one or something like Instantcake).

3. WaveFanatic

WaveFanatic New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    So moving the 80GB to the 120GB is out of the question. Since I got the original, I start from that.

Just to keep my original a "virgin", should I follow the process to upgrade from 40GB to a 120GB, then zipper? Zipper will upgrade the software anyway, so forget the phone upgrade, right?

thanks,
    Robert

4. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    You have 2 options:
    1. Upgrade from 40 to 120 get the upgrade then zipper.
    2. Get an image of the latest version (6.2a) and then zipper.
    If you choose option 1 the image is free but you always have to keep that 40 GB drive the way it is now. If you choose option 2 the image CAN be free if you beg an image from someone or cost $20 if you get Instantcake. But now you don't have to keep that drive around you have the image available as a file on the computer. Personally I would buy cake its cheap and you are also sure of what you are getting.
    Just the opposite, READ THIS . Zipper modifies the OS to allow hacks and prevents the OS from upgrading, you will always have the version you zipper with unless you upgrade intentionally by bypassing or disabling some of what zipper does.