DVR80 makes a lot of noise at night

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ctatman, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ctatman

ctatman New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a technical question concerning my DirectTV DVR80 unit? I just recently moved this unit into my bedroom, and every night between 2am and 4am EST it goes into some kind of maintenance mode. It lights up the led's, and the hard drive starts starts chugging away like mad.

At first, I thought this was due to some kind of cron job doing some house cleaning on the hard drive. But a user at the DirecTV forums told me this is the system downloading showcase and guide information.

Whatever the reason may be- this is loud enough to wake me up at night. I put some tape over the LED's to keep it from lighting up my bedroom, but the noise is still rather bothersome. Anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the system to do these updates in the middle of the day when I'm not around? I know the hard drive is probably going to crash on me if I keep unplugging the unit in the middle of the night :)

The user at the DirecTV forum also told me "there are some specific channels that you de-select as channels you recieve (upper 580's I believe)... This has been reported to stop the nightly download." Can anyone here tell me how to do that?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Go to Hitachi website and download ftool. Run this tool and turn on the change acoustic level. This works on most hard drives and will lower seek speed making the drive run quieter. Drive is set by manufacture for performance this sets it to a lower noise level and consumes less power.

3. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN
    my rca unit does the same thing noise wise I kinda got used to it.

4. kpm807

kpm807 New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    there is something wrong with ur hard drive...its not supposed to be loud. call 1-866-678-6664 and order a replacement.

5. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN
    I called about my unit when it first happened and was informed that it was "normal". It is now past the 1 yr mfg warranty, I have been considering purchasing the dtv warranty.

6. ctatman

ctatman New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    So anyone here know how to deselect specific channels that you receive to stop these nightly downloads?

The user at the DirecTV forum also told me "there are some specific channels that you de-select as channels you recieve (upper 580's I believe)... This has been reported to stop the nightly download."

7. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Yea, take them off of the "Channels I receive" by going through the setup menu. You'll see the channels in the guide with "Upcoming DVR..." which are the channels that download the showcase stuff.

Poke around, you will find it.

8. ctatman

ctatman New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Ok...I admit I'm lazy....

I just played around with the menus and figured out how to deselect the channels I received. I got rid of a bunch of stuff I never watch. I will report back the results in a few days. Hopefully this will stop the nightly onslaught of noise.

Thanks to all the posters who gave advice on this thread!

9. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Cool. It is the showcases recording that your hearing.

Welcome aboard!