DVR Series 2 reboots randomly when connected wirelessly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kocab, Jan 16, 2006.

1. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Help! My new TiVo DVR-2 80 Gb reboots regularly at least once a day when it is connected to my wireless network.

Removing the wireless adapter causes the reboots to stop.

I'm using the new TiVo wireless G adapter. It's an unmodified DVR.

I've called customer service twice. I'm afraid I have to report that they were not helpful at all. After waiting for half an hour to speak to someone they really could only read from their script - and my problem wasn't on their script. They transferred me to someone else where I was told I had to wait at least another half hour. I gave up.

Has anyone else had any luck with either getting help from TiVo on this issue or have they been able to find a solution independently? Thanks for any advice you can give.

(I really like the device, despite the fact that there is little Apple support and it doesn't work very well so far. But it sure makes TV watching more fun.)

2. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Were you speaking with Humax or TiVo CS? If it was TiVo CS, send me a PM with your case and contact information and I will send the case back to the agents with the recommendation that they replace the adapter. If the issue occurs with the replacement adapter, you will need to contact Humax to replace your unit for a rebooting issue.

If you originally contacted Humax, please contact TiVo CS to arrange for a return/replacement of the adapter in order to TS properly.

3. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanks. It's a TiVo branded DVR and a TiVo branded wireless adapter. I'll PM you the case information.

4. Hutty

Hutty New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Hey, Im having the EXACT same problem. Works fine without the adapter plugged in, but when I plug it in it starts rebooting. Using the tivo adapter as well. Im going to try to call support today.

5. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    What other devices are connected to the wireless network when this happens? And what protocol are they using (802.11b or 802.11g)?

Is it possible that something has recently come onto the network that might have caused some sort of issue in the network that then results in this behavior?

6. Hutty

Hutty New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    I have three computers and an XBox 360, all running g on this network. But it seems to only reset when I go into the menu on the Tivo.

7. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    The router/wireles access point is an Apple Airport Extreme base station set up to use 40bit WEP. There are three Apple computers on the wireless network and a file server on the wired portion.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation with the state of other devices on the network and the rebooting that I can discern.

The TiVo adapter is using the G protocol, but the Access point is set to allow either B or G.

The TiVo has no trouble connecting to the network or getting online and downloading content. Because I'm using Apples I can't tell if the adapter works with Tivo-to-go or not.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You could still use the https interface to check that though, right? https://{your TiVo IP} login with username 'tivo' and your MAK as the password.

9. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    Are any of the wireless Macs using an older Airport card (one that only does 802.11b)?

I think I read about something similar which appeared to be the older Airport card going onto the network generated by an Airport Extreme base station. It looked like running certain network applications on the Mac with the Airport card caused the TiVo to become unstable (usually when the TiVo went to do some sort of network access -- like going into the Now Playing List or initiating a connection to the TiVo service)

You may not know it, but there were different versions of the Airport card released over the years they were available (i.e. not all Airport cards, the 802.11b ones, are created equal). I think there were four different versions.

I believe that taking the Macintosh off the network (or not running a network active application, like a chat client) eliminated the issue.

Could this be similar to what you're seeing?

10. LordGoofy

LordGoofy The Lord Of Goofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Any resolutions to this problem yet? I seem to be having the same problem with one of my TiVo's and the new TiVo G adapter.

11. kitalooclef

kitalooclef New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I had the same problem with my Tivo. In our case, we were using a Tivo manufactured wireless device to connect the Tivo to our network. Tivo support told us that some of their wireless devices have been causing Tivos to randomly reboot. We disconnected the wireless adapter and the problem stopped. Tivo refunded our money and gave us a credit to buy a new one.

12. LordGoofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Ok thanks.. I just got off the phone with tech support ( less then a 5 minute wait for the level one and level 2 techs) and they have my problem reported and we are working toward a solution.

Pretty good to have at least one TiVo for over two years and this is the first time I have had to call.

13. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I have not yet been advised that this is happening on a regular basis, so take this agent's comment with a grain of salt. It is not their place to make such a claim until verified at higher levels.

Were you previously using an adapter without an issue? If so, which make/model? I ask because one aspect I'm following is when an adapter was not previously in use, as this **may** indicate a problem with the DVR itself.

This thread is the first indication of any issue and we must gather data points and troubleshoot thoroughly before reaching any conclusion.

14. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    No - they are all less than a year old (I decided to switch last spring). They all using the Airport Extreme cards.

The only "b" device on the network is my daughter's NitendoDS but that is not turned on at the time of the reboots. (I checked.)

15. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I've been able to see the TiVo via bonjour networking, but I didn't know the username and password to get into it. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I'm going to return and exchange the wireless adapter to see if it the cause - or if the issue is with the DVR. (Or with a software glitch...)

16. kocab

kocab New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Quick update: I'm still attempting to speak with someone at TiVo who can effect an exchange. I had a call from a CS rep earlier this week but wasn't home at the time. I've called back three times so far, but I keep getting half hour or greater hold times, and not having that much time to waste I've given up on the calls.

I did manage to get through quickly today, but was told that I had to be transferred to another agent because the person I spoke with was not able to help me. And guess what - I'm on hold for an estimated wait time of 30 minutes. Yay.

Hopefully the exchanged unit won't have these problems. If I have to spend another week trying to get through to a live agent who can do something, I think I'll give up and ebay my machine.

I do appreciate TiVoJerry's help with this. I wonder why the wait times for an agent have been so long? Is this normal?

17. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    The holidays bring our highest call volume of the year and it takes awhile for them to ramp down, mostly due to the "gift effect" (where many of the TiVo recorders purchased for the holidays were not activated or set up until January). We've also had some activation issue that are causing more customers to call and add to hold times.

18. LordGoofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    As per my PM TiVo Jerry. Now it seems that my second TiVo is having the same problem. I had used the Linksys Wireless B USB adapters. Last night after trying all the things the gentleman on the phone told me to do the TiVos are still doing the random reboots. I unplugged both of the TiVo adapters and will check tonight to see if they reboot, and this weekend I will try the old Linksys adapters to see if they reboot while those are plugged in.

19. LordGoofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Just an update. I called again Thursday to report that my second TiVo was having the same problems that only occur when the TiVo adapter is plugged in. I left the TiVo adapters unplugged for a couple of days with no reboots. Plugged TiVo adapters back in and had the same problems. Connected my old Linksys B adapters in after I restarted both units with no problems for two days. Called to report and was told that this case has been escalated and that the Engineers are looking into the problem. Hopefully we will see a resolution soon.

20. kitalooclef

kitalooclef New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    We exchanged our wireless adapter for a new one, same problem. It reboots randomly when their adapter is plugged in. We've hooked it up to an ethernet cable for now, as they have no solution. Tivo is supposedly working on the problem with it and will call us when they fix it. I won't hold my breath.