DVR options

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scole250, Dec 23, 2011.

1. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I'm considering another DVR setup and trying to educate myself on the options. I'm considering the following...
    a. Stay with TWC (Raleigh, NC) and invest in 4 Tivo Premiers.
    b. Go with TWC Signature Home Service with whole house DVR.
    c. Go with the new DTV Tivos, again need 4.
    d. Go with DTV Whole House DVR.

I know there's other DVRs, but Tivo is probably the only one I'd consider if I stay with TWC, outside of the TWC whole house system. I've been a Tivo customer for years and love it, but having to use tuning adapters is a pain. They're flaky at best. And TWC has all but disabled MRV, unless there's something new about the Premiers. I'm leaning towards the DTV Tivos or the DTV Whole House DVR.

I've read up alot on the choices and I'm getting informed, but I fear pulling the trigger and finding out there's a big gotcha that I didn't know about. Bugs, lack of features you're used to, stuff like that. I know this is a Tivo forum and I love my Tivos, but I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on what to expect with each of the choices above. Not looking to bash any service, just honest input. Thanks, Steve.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If you forget about the Premiers and stick with Series III class boxes, you can have your MRV. It will take some work and a good little chunk of cash, but it's doable. You'll need to visit the "other" TiVo forum.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It seems very likely that multi-room streaming will arrive for Tivo early next year so that should enable MRV on TWC.

Remember that with DTV you get a two year commitment, no opportunity to try it first, and no ownership of your equipment even if you have to pay something for them up front.

Look carefully at the total cost of the DTV solution considering that you have a two year commitment which typically exceeds the duration of their deep introductory discounts. Remember that you'll pay a higher cost for Internet if you're using TWC without cable.

If I had four TVs to support I'd start with a Premiere Elite for the main TV and wait a while to see if there's any sign of TiVo offering their Preview box at retail as an extender. But I wouldn't blame you for waiting to be sure TiVo solves the MRV issue with TWC.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    But not TiVoToGo.

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    True, but the OP doesn't mention TTG.