1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR help

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by John Connell, Sep 10, 2017.

1. John Connell

John Connell New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I am new to Tivo. Why do recordings start over from the beginning every time you go back to them? I am used to recording multiple NFL games simultaneously, and then switching back in forth between them. For example, I will watch one until I catch up with the live action, and then switch to the other until I catch up with the live action, and then return to the first game.
    I have always done that with both cable and satellite DVRs. But Tivo doesn't pick up where I left off on recorded games, instead it starts the game over each time I go back to it. My question is: AM I not doing it right, or is this a design flaw with TiVo DVR technology?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you using the back button or left arrow when you are switching between shows? Or even pausing before switching?

3. John Connell

John Connell New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I have tried just hitting the back button to exit the recording, and I have also tried pausing the recording first, and then hitting the back button to exit. The result has been the same.

4. John Connell

John Connell New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Oh wait. I see. I need to use the left arrow button instead of the back button. Thanks for the help.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Then try this. When you want to stop watching a game, hit the Live TV button. Now when you want to resume, just move over over the recording and hit the play > button.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've had TiVos for years and I've never figured this out when watching football. It always goes back to the beginning if the game is still in progress.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I didn't read the post carefully. I have never tried to stop a recording "in progress" and then resume it. I'm probably completely wrong.

8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    use pause combined with the live tv button (to jump between tuners) while watching a live recording - press pause, jump to the other tuner, watch, press pause, jump to the other tuner, press play to resume, etc. - this works for me.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks I'll give it a try. Does doing something similar allow to watching another recording and then coming back to the game?

10. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    you can pause a live recording, then use the left arrow to go back into my shows, play/pause the other recording, then press live tv to go back to the live recording.

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    All recorded shows that you selected from the My Shows list are automatically paused at wherever they were in playback when you leave the show, and you will have the option to resume playback at that point the next time you select it from My Shows.

You also have the option to pause and then resume playback on any or all of the available tuners at any time. Just know that the remembered pause point from watching Live TV is totally separate from the remembered pause point for any show selected from the My Shows list.

12. elm222

elm222 TIVO user

Jan 21, 2015
    Northeast TN
    Also remember if you are pausing a live show(tuner) you only have about 30 min on each tuner. Whereas if you are chasing a recording you do not have that constraint.

13. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    unless the show is recording, then it will stay paused until the recording has finished.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Except when in the situation the OP has described, i.e. when the show then is being recorded (or is it when you're within just a shorter period of time to the current recording point?), in which case you indeed can be/are sent back to the beginning (I need to experiment with the exiting methods suggested above, but have had this same situation as well).

15. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    What's interesting is that if you pause a live show and don't switch back to it within 30 minutes, when you do switch back to it, it will be playing but 30 minutes behind live (i.e. it will be playing the oldest part of its buffer).

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I HATE this bug, it's been around forever and they've never cared to fix it. Really stupid and really affects multiple sports-watchers.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Except for this well-known bug where if it's still recording, it sometimes won't remember the pause point if you're watching close to real-time.

UCLABB likes this.