DVR for broadcast programming?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pt121, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Pt121

Pt121 New Member

Mar 26, 2006

Advertisements

Are there any DVR's out there for just broadcast channels without the need of Tivo? Preferably dual tunner versions. Whether it be with SD or HD tunners? With my problems as of late with DirecTV/Tivo units, I'd like to go to old shcool as a backup since most of my recording as of late is mostly my local channels. But don't want to go too old school with VCR's.

I have a DVD recorder, but it will only handle, at the most, 6-8 hrs/disc. of programming with only one tuner. I will be keeping my DirecTv service with the Series 2 DVR's, so it would not be worth the $$ for a Tivo service with just using local channels.

Thanks
    Patrick

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You could replace one of your SD D*TiiVos with a used HR10-250, which has OTA HD tuners. Then you wouldn't pay anything additional, and it will receive SD satellite channels too.

I know you said "without the need of TiVo," but I don't know anything about non-TiVo OTA DVRs. maybe someone else does.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't know of your issues with TiVo, but I'm not sure why you think another DVR would solve it.

You could always use a computer...

4. Pt121

Pt121 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    No actual issues with Tivo itself, just with DirecTv-Tivo. I'd like a DVR that I can set myself to record regular local channel through an antenna independant of anything else. In other words, using a DVR instead of Tape or DVD. Not having to worry about swapping out a disk, having to erase or rewind it.

Patrick

5. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...

Advertisements

Sony and few others offer purely OTA HD DVRs with some type of guide data service (which is the real key; unless manual channel/time recordings are fine), but you will find that they cost $600-$800+.

PC solutions with network media extenders (or PC's directly hooked up to your TV) are also another option.

HDTivo and S3Tivo's have purely OTA capabilities as well (without need for cable cards), but you need to subscribe to "service" in order for the boxes to work.

6. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Both the HDTivo and Tivo Series 3 would fit you bill of not being a DirectTV Tivo and capable of OTA recording.

Al

7. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    There are several DVD recorders with Hard Drives.

Most of the models left the market on 2/28/2007 as the ATSC requirement kicked in.

But several vendors do make units today. They typically all have some sort of defect. Check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106 for the SD units.

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    It was Sony and LG, I believe -- which others are you referring to? And AFAIK, they both have been discontinued wrt the American market (besides being expensive, as you noted).