DVR Expander & Power Failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by janry, Oct 24, 2007.

1. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Since the DVR Expander has to be powered up about 15 seconds before the TiVo box, what happens when you have a power failure and they come back on at the same time?

My guess is you will have to unplug everything and then power it back up normally but if you are away from home, will TiVo be able to record the programs that are in it's To Do list?

I guess I'd better get a bigger UPS.

2. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    the TiVo takes MUCH longer than 15secs before the USB/eSATA is even looked at to care much.

it should be fine.

edit: another good reason to put a UPS on your Tivo & DVR expander.

3. DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    Yea, time for a UPS...

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A UPS should be considered a requirement.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

The DVR Expander is "always on" just like the Tivo, meaning if your power cycles, the box will turn itself back on. That does take a few seconds, but it's ready before the Tivo looks for it.

I'll add that to the FAQ later today.

6. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I wonder why the instructions say to power up the Expander before TiVo. It doesn't seem like it should take 15 seconds and I imagine they padded the time estimate but the fact they even mention the Expander should be powered up first makes me think it should be.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind those are generic instructions.

Those instructions were written many months ago when only the Scientific Atlanta SA8000HD was supported.

8. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Any idea how this all works when the DVR is put in to stand by mode. I assume that the eSATA stays on. I have to put my S3 in stand by in order to use the DVD player. My Harmony remote also puts the S3 in stand by when I turn off my TV. This can be changed though.

9. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    If the tivo doesn't detect the drive, it will produce an error screen. It will only divorce the drive when you tell it to... so it's not destructive to your recordings. The downside to this is that your tivo will be stuck on that error and if you're not home at the time, you might miss some recordings.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As far as I know, the DVR Expander remains on even when the Tivo is in standby.