DVR Expander - gone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by glauber, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1 of 16
    glauber

glauber New Member

May 18, 2007
    Chicago...
    I can't find the "My DVR Expander" disk in Tivo's webside or elsewhere. I'm thinking it may be out of production.

Is there any replacement that will work without modification on a Tivo HD?

Will this unit work out of the box with a Tivo HD as a DVR Expander would?

Thanks,

glauber

2. Feb 6, 2012 #2 of 16
    HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    It is available at Amazon and other locations. The price is very high now, because it is in short supply because of flooding in SE Asia.

It works just fine out of the box.

3. Feb 6, 2012 #3 of 16
    glauber

glauber New Member

May 18, 2007
    Chicago...
    Is WDBABT0010HBK-NESN the correct model?

4. Feb 6, 2012 #4 of 16
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  5. Feb 9, 2012 #5 of 16
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    All about the Thailand flood. These drives are OUT OF STOCK. Any currently available are from previous production runs from some time ago and are often OVER-priced because of the lack of inventory and there aren't many of them left. Can you wait until prices get back to normal?

6. glauber

glauber New Member

May 18, 2007
    Chicago...
  7. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Member

Jan 13, 2011
    My current external hd (500 GB model) died so I lost all my Now Playing List and I'm back to 21 HD hours. My Tivo HD is nearly 4 year sold so I'm going to "try" to wait on the prices of these drives to come down. It's that or buy a .... oh wait this is the Series 3 forum.

Should I consider an internal hd upgrade to my 40-ish month old Tivo HD?

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you don't already have lifetime on that HD, you might be able to threaten to cancel and get it for $99.

Which could then justify paying double what the price should be for a 2TB to put in that HD.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    good gawd yes, first thing I would have done.

Even the TivoHD I just gave my dad had a 750GB I threw in for him.

10. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you really want the space and you don't care for any of the features of the Premiere (existing and coming), then I personally would just go ahead and do the internal upgrade. For me, if something became compelling to go to the Premiere later I would just sell it. By the way I am presuming that you have a lifetime sub. Otherwise, I would get the Premiere now (even if it is just the regular model as it has a 320GB -I think- drive).

11. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Member

Jan 13, 2011
    First of all, thanks for all the great replies.

I am on a month to month subscription @ $12/mo. Sure, I would prefer to have more storage than I have now, but I don't feel the need to go to the Premier model just yet.

What does the hard drive upgrade do for me other than add storage? Does it also add "life" to a four year old Tivo HD?

And, should I use the Weaknees self upgrade or ship it to them for the Deluxe upgrade service (copy and move my settings)? Or other? I am totally capable of self upgrade and I could spend a few hours re-programming my settings (did I just answer my own question?)

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say TiVo HD, do you mean a TCD652160?

If so, and you've had it at least 3 years you really need to look into the $99 lifetime thing, if for no more reason than to add $200 or more to the resale value.

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around right now?

You can use WinMFS to do an upgrade to a 1TB drive, and that drive can be "upped" to a 2TB with comer's jmfs cd later on.

That method will save all of your recordings and settings.

13. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, TCD652160. I'll call Tivo about the $99 lifetime on this unit.

Asked again, does the drive upgrade give me anything else other than storage?

I don't have spares. Is there a document (step by step checklist) for the upgrade you suggest?

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I get the feeling you should probably do a lot more reading around here.

There's at least one thread around here about the $99 lifetime offer, and actually there's more than one version of that offer.

You can read about WinMFS at mfslive.org

There's a thread around here about using comer's jmfs on Premieres and another thread about using it on HDs.

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Since you don't have lifetime service, it might be cheaper to find another S3 Tivo with an upgraded drive. Tivo will let you move your service over to another S3 Tivo.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

A newer hard drive that theoretically is farther away from failure.

But otherwise, no, it's the same "old" TiVo. But with lots more space.