DVDvideo pyTivo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by email68, Dec 13, 2014.

1. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014

Advertisements

I installed the dvdvideo plugin and when I look at My Shows list, I can see the DVD listed as VTS_01_01.vob, VTS_01_02.vob, VTS_01_03.vob.... etc. Hundreds of files representing parts of videos. There is no way to tell the title or anything.

I figured out that I need to add default.txt to each folder with the title information, but then I get the same title for as many vob's in the folder. In addition, when watching the first vob, the next one does not start. The movie just stops after 15 or 20 minutes, the length of the vob.

Do you have to encode all the vob's into one large vob file?

I have over 1000 dvd's ripped. If I need to redo them, what would be the best format?

Thanks
    -Tim

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You have to actually set the share type to dvdvideo rather than video.

3. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Are you referring to this?

That is how it is set now. What did you think that was going to fix?

Thanks

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, but you can get DVD Decrypter. it can rip in the whole video instead of parts in 1 file, another part in another file. .VOB is just MPEG files, but everything is there from the DVD.

DVD Decrypter can break up .VOB into individual video files that are whole from start to end. You can then rename them to .MPG and if you have VideoReDo, use the Quick Streamfix to fix timestamp issue, most DVDs have that problem, ie: a 2 hr movie only shows as 32 minutes.

5. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014

Advertisements

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm a little confused on what the benefit of the dvdvideo plugin is then. You need to have one large vob, might as well have one mpg, or even an mp4 that includes the metadata.

If all the dvd's were output to a single mpg, why would you use the dvdvideo plugin?

I hoped the dvdvideo plugin would playback the vob's in order like a dvd player does, but either it doesn't or I've got my configuration wrong. Since I have over 1000 dvd's ripped this way, it would be very beneficial if the plugin worked like a player and linked files during playback.

6. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    The whole point of the DVD plugin is to automatically combine the VOB files and present them as unified titles. What you're describing is what I'd expect to see through the regular video plugin.

7. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. Now I just need to figure out why it's not combining my VOBs.

8. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Did you restart pytivo after changing the settings?

9. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes, by actually closing the app and running it again.

10. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    More info on my problem.

I have hundreds of dvd's ripped to a whs 1.0 box. Each movie is in it's own folder like this.

G\Movies
    >Movie title
    >>AUDIO_TS
    >>VIDEO_TS
    >>>VTS_01_1.VOB
    >>>VTS_01_2.VOB
    ETC...

When I go to the DVD folder using the pyTivo webpage, I see the folder names listed (which are the names of the movies). When I click on the folder I see two files, one says main title 1 and the other shows main feature. Both show the same time for the movie length. Besides seeing duplicate titles, it seems to work as expected. I can push a DVD to the tivo.

On the Tivo, when I click on Devices under My Shows, then DVD, all I see is an endless list of VOB files. It pulls out every VOB from the movie directories and just lists them all. No hint of the movie title and it does not link to the next VOB to continue the movie. This doesn't seem right. What am I missing here?

A follow up question. The Tivo search does not seem to search the My Shows>Devices menu. How is everyone organizing there DVD collections in order to quickly find a specific movie?

Thanks for any help!

-Tim

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What I do is use DVD Decrypter to rip from the DVD or from the folder and it will concatenate into a single .vob file, episodes are separated as well. Then, I use VideoReDo QuickStream Fix to fix timestamp and other issues into a single .mpg file and set in a name of the movie.mpg. Sending this to the TiVo will show the name of the video vs. sending the original .vob which shows nothing about the title.

12. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Please refer to post 6. Combining the VOB's defeats the purpose for my needs.

13. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Ah, now this is a crucial bit of info.

When you see that endless list, try pressing "2" on the remote.

14. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Perfect! That was it. I just saw this in the pyTivo thread as well. Thanks for the reply. Makes world of difference!

15. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    New problem. PyTivo devices are not showing up on the mini's.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You cannot stream from a PC or download either to a Mini, only indirectly with a Roamio or Premiere 4 tuner as the middleman.

17. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks.

It's odd that the Devices is even under the My Shows on the mini.

It would be nice to see them on the mini and have them download to the Roamio. Looks like vidmgr or streambaby works with the mini? Rummaging through those threads now.