DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tomm1079, May 30, 2011.

1. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I am planning on backing up my DVD collection so i can just stream it to my Tivo. What is the best software to do this with and what format should i set everything to so i can get it on my tivo natively?

2. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I use HANDBRAke. Works great and free.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use DVD Decrypter to copy the contents to the HD and bypass its protection, then VideoReDo TVSuite to make .mpg out of the DVD's .vob, sometimes I have to use its Quick Stream Fix, and I know everything works on the Tivo.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You can rip the DVDs directly to the hard drive and then publish them with the pyTivo DVD plug-in. 'No editing or re-coding required.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The copy protection will prevent you from doing this.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    He said RIP them to the hard drive. Not copy. This implys using software like dvdfab or AnyDVD or such.

I use dvdfab to rip to a single vob file per title and then use meGUI to encode to IMSA standard streamable mp4 files for tivo. If any of your DVDs are PAL, be sure to down size the video to fit within a 720x480 frame. NTSC DVDs already are.

7. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    does the default (normal) settings for handbreak work good with tivo without having to reencode?

8. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    You might want to check out DVD Catalyst 4. It's a great product. I use it to convert DVD's and Video for the Nook Color and it is real easy to use. It will convert pretty much any DVD that is out there except for the Digital copy dvds. The author has a list of settings to use for some of the more stubborn DVD's and you can email the author if you still have trouble and he will tell how to fix the problem.

By default it is setup for easy, no hassle conversion but turn on power user and you have access to all kinds of advanced tools. For $10, it is well worth the price. He has filters for all different types of devices. He even has streaming mode to create videos that are optimized for streaming and he has a streaming server you can setup.

I am not connected with the author or trying to sell his program. It's just I have used other programs before and found DVD Catalyst to be the best out there. It is only available for the PC right now so macs will still have to use handbrake or other programs.

BTW, DVD catalyst is setup for multiprocessors so if you have 2 or more processors, you can speed up the conversion time.

Visit http://www.tools4movies.com/ to get the tool.

9. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    I use AnyDVD+Handbrake. I convert to M4V that I can send to TiVo with Streambaby, or direct to PS3, or play on laptop.

Streambaby transcodes quickly and seamlessly.

10. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If you used an mp4 file and selected the encode parameters correctly, streambaby would not need to transcode at all, it could be sent natively to series 3 and 4 tivos.

The Handbrake default settings are not correct for tivo. you will need to create a tivo profile. Others here can help you with the best settings as I do not use handbrake regularly

11. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Can you explain how you are doing this and where you got the pluggin? I looked around the pyTivo forum and could not find what you are talking about.

12. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
  13. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Thank you for the link. I understood everything except this:

Code:
    --- a/httpserver.py 
    +++ b/httpserver.py 
    @@ -271,7 +271,8 @@ class TivoHTTPHandler(BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler): 
                                 'Command=NPL&Container=' + quote(section) +  
                                 '&TiVo=' + config.tivos[tsn] + '">' + 
                                 escape(config.tivo_names[tsn]) + '</a><br>') 
    -            elif plugin_type == 'video' and t.shares: 
    +            elif ( plugin_type == 'video' or plugin_type == 'dvdvideo' ) \ 
    +                    and t.shares: 
                     t.shares += ('<a href="TiVoConnect?Command=' + 
                                  'QueryContainer&amp;Container=' + 
                                  quote(section) + '">' + section + '</a><br>')
    What file is this edited in?

14. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    That is patch format -- the changes go into 'httpserver.py' starting about line 271. The '-' line gets removed, the '+' lines get added. The other lines are the context.

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You're the one who said he is using DVD Decrypter. DVD Decrypter will rip most DVDs to the hard drive.

16. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    What is the suggested ripping software these days for blu-ray? I had thought about purchasing an upgrade to my DVDfab Platnium that I have used for years to the newer blu-ray version but thought I should ask for advise from this forum first to see what others experiences are. I just need to get the data from the disk to the hard drive in an un-encrypted format. I'll handle re-encoding etc seperatly.

17. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
  18. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    So I tried the DVDPluggin with no success. Once I get to VIDEO_TS folder and click it pyTivo errors out. I would troubleshoot it, but I figured I have other options. I never got my activation email from the pyTivo forum either, so I can't get support even if I wanted it.

So I went to converting VOBs to mpgs. Worked great, until it didn't. Seems I can't transfer files over 5.5 GB. Different files error out at different points in the transfer. A 5.6 GB file errored out at the 1.8 GB transfer point and a 6+ GB file errored out at the 4.7 GB transfer point. So I accepted I am going to have to go back to .mp4 for the smaller file size.

Enter Handbrake. Handbrake works, but is slow as molasses. A 2 hour movie takes about 3.5 hours to convert if done locally, and the same movie takes 6.5 hours when done on my external drive where I store the conversions. I realize i don't have the fastest cpu with it being a 2.4 ghz dual core and 3 GB of ram, but the amount of time I listed seems like much longer than it should take. Most people here seem to swear by Handbrake so am I doing something wrong, or is it really this slow?

19. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    I am not sure if you are on the PC or the Mac but if you are on the PC, try the DVD Catalyst program that I refered to in my previous post. It normally picks the correct track on the DVD to convert to whatever device you want whether its android device or a tivo device or whatever. Just tell it what device you want to copy to and if necessary the format you want. The tivo just has two options MPEG and MPEG copy. You can try it for free or purchase it for $10.

again the link is www.tools4movies.com

20. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I suppose it is worth a try. I don't see how it could be any slower than Handbrake.