DVD Ripping with titles

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by slimjim867, Jul 31, 2011.

1. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I used DVDShrink to rip a DVD.... I was successful in getting it to my Tivo but it was one big file. It is a copy of a DVD that I own which is an episodic TV series.
    How can I accomplish this task and come out with a separate file for each episode?
    Thank you

2. mbates73

mbates73 Hug Your TiVo 2Day

Nov 4, 2010
    Alpharetta, GA
    Handbreak should do what you want. If the episodes are stored as titles on the disk it will be easy to select a title and convert it into mp4. If they are on there as chapters, you would need to find out what chapters make up an episode, select that range of 1 or more chapters and convert it.

Hope this helps.
    -Matt

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The contents on a DVD for a multi-episode disk, contains 2 copies, one contains all the episodes as 1 continuous stream, the other contains the episodes as separate streams. If you have VideoReDo TVSuite, it can show you which are which and show the length of their stream to make into .mpg. Plus, VRD can fix any timestamp problems.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Shrink can do episodes- just reauthor the disc and put into the dvd structure separately. once complete, rename the files to the episodes.

5. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your help.
    The output is coming up with chapters. How do i go about finding out what chapters make up an episode?
    Thanks
    Danny

6. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi,
    Thank you for responding but I dont understand "put into the dvd structure separately."
    Please explain
    Thanks
    Danny

7. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005

Thank you but i want to use freeware.
    Thanks
    Danny

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Just use the DVD plug-in for pyTivo (plus vidmgr, if you like - I definitely recommend it). You can use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD. 'No re-coding or fiddling with the structure.

9. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    OK, I've used DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD.
    Now, how do i use pyTivo to convert?
    Thank you
    Danny

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Did you rip using the File option? Using the IFO or ISO option won't work. The rip should have created a VIDEO_TS directory with a number of .VOB files and a number of .IFO files. Assuming so...

First of all, you will need to load the DVD plug-in for pyTivo. You can use lucasnz's pyTivo fork, of pyTivo, or make the small change to the current wmcbrine fork detailed in lucasnz's DVD Video thrread found here.

Next, you will need to create en entry in the pyTivo.conf file similar to the following:

Code:
    [DVD]
    path = /RAID/DVD
    force_alpha = True
    type = dvdvideo
    fast_index = true
    Then re-start pyTivo, and you should have basic functionality. In the NPL there will be a folder with the name you put in brackets in the pyTivo.conf file (in this example, it would be "DVD"). Each of the directories you ripped will show up in the folder. Drill into any of the folders, and you will see some number of titles. Selecting any one will allow you to pull the video to the TiVo. For easier identification of the titles, you can create a default.txt file with the names of each title, or use the keyword "ignore" to prevent pyTivo from displaying any given title, at all. You can also create individual metafiles for each title. See the link above.

If you care to load HME for Python and vidmgr, then you can also create cover art for the DVD and / or for each title.