DVD Recorders - Region Free

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danitaz, Aug 18, 2007.

1. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    We are a multi-cultural family :) - we have a LOT of DVDs from around the world, mostly Region 1 and Region 2, but we have a stray Region 3 here and there as well. I'm looking to get a DVD Recorder to hook to my Tivo. All of the DVD players in our house are Region Free players, and just for "space" issues, it would be better if the DVD recorder that we hook to our Tivo was region free as well. I don't really have room for two DVD players in our bedroom where the TiVO 3 resides! They are quite a bit more expensive, but that's the story of our lives I guess :)

I see that there are some HDMI "upconverter" region free recorders out there that purportedly give you HD quality, but they are close to twice the price (about $325) of some of the other region free recorders.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Is the HDMI upconvert going to be "worth it" overall? I thought I had really scored when I saw a DVD/VCR combo that was region free, until I read that it couldn't play back PAL VHS tapes <g> - My multi-region VCR is easily the largest video component we have in the house, and it's used about once a year <heehee>. I thought I was going to be able to retire it as well!

Thanks for any advice.

Danita

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    You're probably much better off asking this in a forum that specializes on DVD burners, not Tivos. Try AVS Forum.