? DVD Recorder (Tivo) vs DVD Recorder (PC)?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dgrrr, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Jesuz, 8 hours of research and counting, and I completely missed the most important frigging thing! (tried to plug my memorex dvd-/+R/RW burner into my tivo box. Went to Radio shack - couldn't find a s-video to USB adapter, or a composite video to firewire adapter... get it?)

Okay, assuming I have a TIVO box without an integrated DVD burner --

How do I tell if an advertised "DVD Recorder" is one that plugs into TIVO (to record or play TV), plugs into a TV (to play TV), or plugs into my PC (to record or play DVDs, mp3s, or back up PCdata)?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think I'm understanding your question ...

Consumer DVD recorders will be like VCRs: black/silver/gray boxes that go with your other home theater equipment and have standard video/audio connections (component, compositie, digital, etc.).

A DVD burner for a PC will usually have a firewire or USB connection.

3. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    thanks for the link provided in the reply to the other post.

What I'm looking for is some rock solid techincal INDUSTRY TERMS to distinguish the following:

TIVO HDD + DVD Recorder devices
    vs
    (non-Tivo) HDD + DVD Recorder devices for TV
    vs
    DVD Recorder for TV
    vs
    DVD Recorder for PC

(I'm talking about definitive terms like inkjet vs dye-sub, or DVD-R vs DVD+R, or DVDRAM vs DVD-RW, or PAL vs NTFS vs SECAM....)

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    And there really aren't any such industry terms.

TiVo is TiVo, it is a particular brand of DVR - Digital Video Recorder. Sometimes called a PVR - Personal Video Recorder, though I believe that's actually a TiVo trademark. Other terms for DVR are 'hard drive recorder', or the confusing 'HD Recorder' (which is bad since HD is usually High Definition), or HDD Recorder (Hard Disk Drive). DVR is the more common generic term.

A DVD Recorder is a DVD Recorder, I've never head another term for that. DVD Recorders will use DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, and/or DVD+R/RW media.

Systems that are DVRs and DVD Recorders are called various things - DVR+DVD Recorder, HDD/DVD Recorder, etc. There is no accepted term, it depends on the marketing department.

A DVD burner is a PC is just that, there is no particular name for it - DVD burner, DVD-R/RW drive, DVD Superdrive, DVD Multi, etc.

It isn't like there are standards as there are for specific formats of media, etc.

BTW, PAL and SECAM are video formats, NTFS is a file system. ;-) I think you meant NTSC.

6. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks both of you. Clears up a lot. (Can't believe I said NTFS instead of NTSC, lol.)

7. jsmooth2477

jsmooth2477 New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Anyone know if you can use Tivo and record onto DVD with a regular non- computer related dvd recorder? Any ideas?

Thanksw

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sure, it would be just like recording to a VCR from the TiVo. Not sure if you have to worry about any Macrovision copy protection when you do that, though (I've got a Toshiba with the burner built-in, so I've never tried this).