DVD RECORDER & PICTURE QUALITY LOSS

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TIVOISFORME, Jan 3, 2006.

1. TIVOISFORME

TIVOISFORME New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

I hooked up my Direct TV TIVO to my new Sony DVD recorder last night and noticed a quality loss when watching on my new DVD recorder. I used the "video out" from my TIVO to the "Video In" on my DVD recorder and went from my "Video Out" via the component connection to my TV.

Does TIVO lower the quality when going to a secondary device for copyright reasons? or could this be a natural degredation of color? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It isn't the TiVo that is doing that...

It is the Sony DVD Recorder.

Sincey you are going from an S-Video/Yellow VIDEO connection, and then out to a component connection... the Sony DVD Recorder MUST be doing some sort of conversion there.

And it must not be doing it well.

3. mwarner

mwarner New Member

Dec 12, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have a Sony DVD recorder. You are correct. If you have the Sony DVD Recorder turned on and watching the DTivo thru it, there is a very noticable quality loss. However, when recording at high quality, the loss isn't bad at all.

I think that the Sony basically shows you what your picture will look like at long play speeds (worst quality). The Sony is showing you the worst case senario for recording. As long as you are recording at HSP or SP, you'll be fine.

Hope that helps. My only suggestion is not to watch TV thru the DVD recorder. Run a separate output from the Tivo to the TV. For example: INPUT 1 on your TV becomes TiVo/DBS; INPUT2 becomes DVD, etc.

-Matt

4. TIVOISFORME

TIVOISFORME New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I will be sure not to watch TIVO on the DVD recorder since the TIVO is hooked up to a 55 inch Sony Grand Wega DLP. I think the size of the TV doesnt help the quality degradation when watching on the DVD recorder.

As always, thanks for the quick replies. Your help is greatly appreciated.