DVD Quality Player

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jaybird28, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Anybody have a suggestion for purchasing a new DVD player that will not struggle playing DVR's?

2. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Do you mean DVDRs? If so all but the absolute cheapest should play them without much problem. Personally I have gotten good performance from Pioneer and Panasonic players.

One thing to check, make sure the player is compatable with the media you are burning.
    DVDR+, DVDR- ect.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Most newer (within the last couple of years or so) DVD players are specifically designed to play home-burned DVD's.

When shopping for a player, look for specific compatibility; many will say right on the unit what kinds of discs they are compatible with. Many, but not all, will also play VR mode DVD-RW's.

I've personally had good luck with Sony DVD players. The newer ones will not only play home-burned discs of all types except DVD-RAM, but will also play VR mode discs.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I think you'll find the correct terms are DVD+R and DVD-R.

5. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    While you're on the topic..........it's etc.
    It must be my dyslexia. ;)

6. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    I just got the Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disk DVD player/changer. It is a GREAT player and after setup it makes my 200+ DVD/CD/JPEG colection almost as accessable as the movies an my TiVos.

So far it has handled everything I have tried to play without any problems even jpes sets that were simply burned as data.

THe only problem I have seen is one disk burned with my Persidian DVD burner failed to play properly but the other 75 or so have played fine. I believe that the disk, itself, was defective rather than any problem with either the player or burner. One out of 75 at the price of $20.00 for 25 is not too bad.

But one question for those that have been burning longer than I. Is there any difference in reliability for +Rs or -Rs. So far I have used -Rs but my burner and player handles both and the burner manual seems to express no preference.