DVD on top of Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sgreen0, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sgreen0

sgreen0 New Member

Sep 3, 2005

Advertisements

Is it OK to place a Blu-ray/DVD player on top of the Tivo box?

Does the top of the Tivo need ventilation?

Thanks.

Stephen

2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Shouldn't be a problem the Tivo has a fan so any heat should be drawn out the back. Most Blu-ray players also have fans in them.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've had three Premieres stacked with no issues and those are warmer than a BD player.

4. sgreen0

sgreen0 New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Thanks!

A great help.

Stephen

5. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010

Advertisements

I had this same question a couple weeks ago when I was rearranging our equipment stack, also looking to combine the Premiere with a Blu-Ray player. Here's what the Premiere manual says:

"...Your TiVo Premiere is only capable of supporting the weight of one or two
    common A/V components such as VCRs, DVD players, or A/V receivers
    (provided they have four good, broad, padded feet that distribute of the
    weight near the corners of the TiVo Premiere).
    Also, avoid stacking your TiVo Premiere on top of other electronic
    components — such as DVD players, A/V receivers — or the vents of your
    TV."

In our case, we only use our Blu-Ray/DVD player a few times a week, and the Tivo is narrower, so we put the Tivo on top. In operation, neither the Premiere nor the Blu-Ray player get more than mildly warm (barely noticeable) on the top panel, so I'm sure we'd be fine with either stacked on top of the other.

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I think that the most important consideration is to have a entertainment center that is not enclosed. If it is enclosed the heat has no where to go and only goes up. No mater where the the fans are or how many items that you have stacked. Although I have a friend that keeps her Tivo in an enclosed center most of the time when she is not watching it, and it has been running for years. I am keeping a 'spare' tivo for her if it does fail though. Her only vent for the center is the hole at the back where the cords go through.
    If her Tivo fails due to heat, I will probably put a fan in the back and a hole in the front bottom to pull heat out.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The only consideration here is the heat created by each respective device.
    The device that produces the most amount of heat should be on top.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I actually have to admit I'm guilty of this... my bedroom setup is awful:

The stack is, from top to bottom:
    TV (Olevia 323v, which is a 23" LCD, so it's not huge or super-heavy)
    Philips 5990 (used for playing .avis from a USB key)
    Toshiba BD-101 blu-ray player
    Tivo Premiere

So... yeah, there's a good bit of weight on it. Thing is, the TV isn't super heavy, and it's all open so there are no heat issues.

I've considered what to do when I eventually get a larger bedroom TV, though who knows when that'll be - I've concluded I may have to custom-build a shelf just the right width to go on top of the armoire to put the TV on, and just the right height to slide the other equipment below it. I'm not concerned at all about the weight of the other electronic devices on the Premiere in that setup, though. The box isn't quite the tank other models were, but it's still pretty sturdy, as are most electronic-equipment boxes in my experience.

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I have my Premiere in an enclosed cabinet, but I keep the front door ajar a couple of inches to allow some air flow. It works fine and doesn't run hot. The lower power draw of the Premiere is a plus (compared to the TiVo HD I had in there previously).

Interestingly, when I had the TiVo HD in the cabinet (with the door ajar) it often had the problem (fairly common, I think) of sometimes not responding to remote commands even with a yellow flash. Since the problem was intermittent, I was always skeptical that it was caused by hardware. But since I moved the HD over to the open top of another nearby cabinet, it runs a couple of degrees cooler, and the remote problem occurs much less frequently. And I don't think the HD has received a software update since I moved it.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Chances are the device that produces the most heat (providing none of them are actually on fire) is also the biggest and heaviest.

Find something to make the feet of each unit "taller" to improve air flow, especially for stuff like TiVos that pull air in from the bottom.