DVD burn software doesn't recognize TiVo files

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Alarmcluck, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Alarmcluck

Alarmcluck New Member

Aug 5, 2006

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a series 2 which is working perfectly. It's connected wirelessly to my network. I have TiVo desktop on my laptop which is running XP Media Center. I have no problems transferring shows from TiVo to the laptop. However, I'm trying to burn shows to DVD, but my DVD burn software cannot read the TiVo files. What do I have to do to burn TiVo recordings to DVD? Is there some special software that's required?

Thanks.

2. foxtwc

foxtwc New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Directshow Dump to turn your Tivo file into a regular mpeg 2 video. In tivo format it is encrypted.

3. mutleysmom

mutleysmom New Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Did you get any answer to this question? I have the same problemand don't know how to fix.

4. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Download, install and use software called DirectShow Dump to convert the tivo files to a different format. Maybe Mutley has computer experience and can help.

5. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

You can find DirectShow Dump here: http://prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm

I have been using it for almost a year and it works fine. Converts .tivo files to mpeg format so that they can be edited to burn DVD's using several different editing programs.

6. stuartbell

stuartbell New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Jack (and everyone): I installed etvio and used it to convert/copy files from my TVIO to my USB-->DVD burner via wireless and my Windows XP sp/2 laptop. Everything seemed to be OK, the MPEG files showed uo on the DVD and played just fine on the laptop. But, when I took the DVD to DVD player, I got a "unknown" for the format type. Undeterred, I took the DVD disk to another device and got a "bad format".

Well, what do I do now? I can'f ind any options on DirectShow Dump and I don't know where to start.

BTW, after testing the MPEG files, I got a message on the laptop, "revoking permissions . . ." Thought that might be bad news.

Thanks much! /Stu

7. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    I edit the converted TiVo files using Intervideo WinDVD Creator to burn DVD movies . There are other programs such as Roxio, etc. The key is to first convert the TiVo file to MPEG, which is what Directshow dump does. Then you edit it and burn a DVD using the programs noted above.

This way the converted TiVo file can now play on any DVD player.

8. stuartbell

stuartbell New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    I understand that after converting from TVIO to MPEG format, I have to edit the file before I can save it in MPEG format and then play it on a non-TVIO DVD player?

That is strange - I was looking for a more straightforward process - like a converter that just puts out an MPEG I could play directly.

Whay can I play the MPEG files on my DVD reader on the PC but not a DVD reader that is hooked to a TV?

Thanks for the help.

Still looking . . . /Stu

9. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    THis may be a more low tech answer than you are looking for, but I transfer to my PC through Tivo to Go version 2.0 (available at CNET or Google for it). I run Sonic My DVD Studio and it's accompanying packages (Version 7.0).

My shows play directly from the PC, burn easily to a DVD with no changing of any file types, etc., and will also play on a standard DVD player.

Barbeedoll

10. stuartbell

stuartbell New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Barbeedoll, Thank you - I think I have it working now - the problem was the DVD burner wasn't burning what I thought it would burn. Changed DVD burners - and Lost is found!

(nice name). /Stu