During signal testing, Roamio OTA reboots if you change channels.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Intheswamp, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Pertinent (I think) info:
    Roamio OTA
    Series 5
    V 21.9.6.v5

I've had this bug(?) for a couple of months now (at least) and finally decided to post about it.

When I do a channel strength test (Settings>Channel Settings>Antenna Signal Strength) the test screen brings up the current channel that the Roamio is tuned to and shows the antenna signal strength...as is normal. In the past I could hit the channel up or down button or either enter the channel number directly via the remote and go to the next desired channel to check...no problem. Now, if I hit either the channel up/down button or try to enter a channel number directly it will cause the Roamio to reboot. The screen will momentarily change to the next channel but in the blink of an eye the screen goes blank and the Roamio brings up the "Welcome Starting Up" screen and reboots.

Any way to fix this so I can check more than one channel's signal strength at a time? The problem isn't the end of the world, but it sure is aggravating.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Check four at once:
    Menu/Help/Account & System Info/Diagnostics. Each tuner is there, just scroll. In full screen mode, use Right to check the channels first.

Been that way for a while: Antenna signal strength causes roamio to reboot

All TE4 boxes.

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks, Joe. I had searched but couldn't find a thread...I guess my search abilities needs improving! :)

Yes, I resorted to using the diagnostic screen to get the signal strength. It works well, it's just so much easier when the actual signal strength app is working properly. Ah well, maybe next update they'll straighten it out.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please don't hold your breath. Diagnostics are a low priority for TiVo. On Search, click Search then More. Less stress and easier to use the options.

5. Dave with Bolt

Dave with Bolt New Member

Jan 5, 2020
    Same thing happens with my 6 hour old Bolt (Oct 2019), it reboots when channel up-down is pushed. Works fine on channel of inquiry, but there after reboots. Why? The sidebar indicates to do channel up/down for other channel strengths.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As mentioned, it's a bug that was introduced with the last TE4 software update which has not been fixed yet.

Scott

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Yes, apparently an "undocumented feature"...at least that's what Billy Gates would say. ;)

8. Garitron

Garitron New Member

Oct 28, 2017
    My Bolt OTA boots when requesting channel change during signal strength measurement. "Clear" works properly, however.

73, Gary