duplicate IP address, wont connect

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Oct 15, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    linksys gaming adapter...worked with hr20 fine except sometimes the gaming adapter went out, i can see when the 3rd light is dark, when i unplugged and plugged it in again, it always made the hr20 work again

not so with the premiere..it said duplicate IP address..what does that mean..it's set at 192 168 2 5 and the default and dns are 2.1

i first had to 'let it' use its own setting then i went back and put back in the 2.5 for the IP and it now connected

i cant do this everytime the adapter dies..ill go nuts...why doesnt rebooting the adapter make the tivo work?

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Use DHCP if you aren't already. Turn off the hr20, if it is not already. If none of that works, change the IP address of the premiere to something a bit higher like 2.25 or 2.30.

If two devices on your network have the same IP address, communications packets meant for one will go to the other and neither device can effectively communicate.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    hr20 is not connected to the internet anymore

i'm unfamiliar with dhcp but in setup it says automatic configuration and under dhcp server it says enabled and then my static dns is 192 168 2 5

router IP is 192 168 2 1 if that matters

it's been years since i played with router settings..how would i change the premiere to something higher?

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I think what was meant is to change the TiVo to use DHCP rather than a fixed IP.