Duplicate Channel Listings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Emacee, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Oct 5, 2017 #1 of 10
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

I have an Bolt set up for antenna (only) reception in the Philadelphia suburbs. After I run (or repeat) guided set-up, my channel list includes the following channel (with three sub-channels) - unchecked:
    69.1 WFMZ45-LD IND
    69.2 WFMZ45-LD2 IND
    69.3 WFMZ45-LD3 H&I
    69.4 WFMZ45-LD4 RTN-E
    There is no signal on these channels but I do get program information for them in the on-screen guide and banners.

After I scan for new antenna channels, the channel list also includes:
    69.1 * WFMZ-HD WFMZ-HD
    69.2 * WFMZ-AW WFMZ-AW
    69.3 * WFMZ-HI WFMZ-HI
    69.4 * WFMZ-RT WFMZ-RT
    I can and do receive on these channels but there is no program information (everything is To Be Announced).

I have repeated guided set-up and channel scan several times (using various zip codes in the region) and I still can't get one set of channels with both signals and program info. Any ideas how to fix this?

PS: Found an additional duplicate....
    10.3 WCAU-DT TELEMUN - No signal
    10.3 * WCAU-DT WCAU-DT - Signal but no program listings.
    In the case of these two channels, the second channel, which I can receive, is not showing the same programming listed on the first channel with no signal.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. Oct 5, 2017 #2 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Looks like you need to submit a line-up change to TiVo. It appears this is related to the following which I found on the Wikipedia page for this station (at least for the 4 WFMZ channels). So they are really broadcasting on UHF channel 46 but displaying the old UHF analog channel number.

"WFMZ-TV shut down its analog signal, over UHF channel 69, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. The station's digital signal continued to broadcasts on its pre-transition UHF channel 46.[5] Through the use of PSIP, digital television receivers display the station's virtual channel as its former UHF analog channel 69, which was among the high band UHF channels (52-69) that were removed from broadcasting use as a result of the transition."

WFMZ-TV - Wikipedia

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Oct 6, 2017 #3 of 10
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks, Scott. I've noticed sometimes after I run the scan, channel 69 does show up at 46. I know most channels actually operate on a different channel but 69 is the only one I've seen which sometimes shows up on its real channel.

When I run the diagnostics, the versions of 69.* which appears after guided set-up and has program info is actually tuned to the frequency for channel 45. The version which is added when I scan for new channels (shown with an * ) shows the frequency for channel 46.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. Oct 7, 2017 #4 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    OK, good that you have the details that TiVo's guide has the wrong frequency. Submit a lineup change and hopefully they will get it corrected for you soon.

Scott

5. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Wow! I posted the problem on Tivo. Finally got an email telling me to call. I called and the support rep couldn't figure out what I was talking about. After a bit more research, I found out the station (WFMZ) does have a low power translator on frequency 45 in Center City Philadelphia. I'm in the 'burbs and I get (literally) zero signal from the frequency 45 translator and good, consistent signal from the main station on frequency 46. I tried doing guided set-up for zip codes in other suburban Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) counties (Montgomery, Delaware - I'm in Chester County) and still got the program guide looking for the station on frequency 45.
    Not sure why this is so tough for Rovi/Tivo to figure out. They seem to think the entire Philly Metro receives this station from frequency 45.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The station, located in Allentown, is on my OTA lineup. I get zero OTA channels, but WFMZ is on my basic cable lineup. I think it may be worth the effort to see if you can get them to change the station's physical channel to 46 for just your zipcode (or DMA - but that might be Philly).

WFMZ is on my tvfool report -> TV Fool

7. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Hi, Joe....
    Not surprised you can't get OTA TV in the mountains. You are in the area where cable (then called "community antenna television") was invented. In this area, Verizon carries all four WFMZ channels/sub-channels. Comcast carries three. I understand DirecTV and Dish only take the main channel.
    Tried some more zip codes on Tivo. Found one which includes both the actual station on frequency 46 and the translator on frequency 45. I don't how they decide which stations to include on the channel list at guided set-up but from my home zip code I get Baltimore, Harrisburg and Wilkes Barre - Scranton, none of which I can get. But not this Allentown station, which I can get (very well). The translator is very low power with a coverage area directed at Center City, Philadelphia and intended to boost reception in that specific area. From the coverage map, it appears even outlying neighborhoods in Philly or close-in suburbs can't pick it up.
    With more people "cord-cutting," it seems Rovi/Tivo should pay more attention to these issues.

JoeKustra likes this.
  8. Amphicar770

Amphicar770 New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Same issue here, also live in the Philly burbs. My Roku TCL TV guide has no problem but Tivo does not show guide for wfmz.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Tell TiVo -> Report a Lineup Issue

dfreybur likes this.
  10. bbb3o

bbb3o Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yeah. Similar problems here in NYC as well.
    I sent the relevant info to TIvo for them to research the issue and correct. in short; they wanted me to do all the sussing and sorting and cataloging for them and then submit it all to them to update (yah, that's what I paid TiVo for right?).
    I just gave up. The channels, the virtual channels, the listing inversions. I can't handle it. It was too much. Unbelievable they do not maintain a database of regional channel reassignments.

Anyway; here's some info regarding some recent changes. Includes changes for Central PA.
    NERW 1/8/2018: TV Channel Shares Take Effect