Dunn legally drunk at time of crash

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
  2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I have no sympathy for him at all..none......I feel bad for his passenger who needlessly died and I feel bad for their families.

But this idiot doesn't deserve to be put on a pedestal just because he did some stupid "stunt" show/movie.

3. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    No real surprise. I know there were some defenders saying right after it happened that it was too early to speculate on whether or not he was drunk. I don't think it ever really mattered. Whether he was drunk or not didn't make him any less dead. He was also driving at 130+mph . That was stupid and reckless drunk or sober.

4. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    While I do feel bad for the families, I don't believe the passenger was a completely innocent victim. I'm assuming that he willingly got into a car with a drunk driver. I have no idea if he was trying to get him to slow down or not, but again I'm assuming that no such protest was made.

It's a very good thing that they didn't take anybody else out with them. They would have been the truly innocent victims in this tragedy.

5. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    +1

Only good thing out of this - is that no one innocent was hurt, too.

6. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    I liked Dunn, but I agree with the comments here. I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers. They are scum and kill so many thousands of innocent people(including children) every year that it simply astounds me that there isn't more outrage over them. And to make matters worse, they have one of the highest recidivism rates of any type of criminal. It's through the roof. I suspect Mr. Dunn here had driven drunk many times before this. I'm just glad he didn't kill any other drivers that were on the road.

But to the poster(angbear) above, he most certainly did kill an innocent person. He killed the passenger in his car and far as I'm concerned, that makes him a murderer as bad as a killer who shoots someone in the head or stabs someone to death. Dead is dead no matter the circumstance or motive(or lack there of). Anyone who pretends otherwise is living in a fantasy world.

Sad thing is this sort of thing happens every single day. It's just most of these tragedies get virtually ignored when it doesn't involve a famous celebrity.

7. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive.

I think this is exactly the right time to make the kind of statement Ebert did. Right now, when it's fresh in the news everyone needs to be reminded of the dangers of drunk driving and the impact it has not only on yourself and the family you leave behind, but others in the vehicle and on the road with you.

Unless you're literally standing next to affected friends and family, there is no reason to tippy-toe around this issue with your words.

8. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    He had BAC 0.196. Was driving 130 mph. And ppl have the nerve to be mad at Roger Ebert.

They should make bumper stickers and t shirts out of that slogan.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally agree with Ebert. Don't think it was insensitive at all.

By the way, the passenger was a stunt driver, so he was no stranger to speeding cars.

10. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Not only should people not drink and drive, they shouldn't get into cars with drivers who have been drinking. It's a needless risk.

11. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    Now that I think about it, this tragedy reminds me a bit of the one that took place with Nick Hogan(Hulk Hogan's son) a few years ago. He also got into a nasty wreck speeding around in some flashy overpriced sports car. I can't remember if he was drunk or not, but the results were almost as sad and pathetic. The passenger(one of nick's friends) is now nothing more than braindead comatose vegetable. He's not technically dead, but he might as well be. And on top of that, that spoiled kid Nick got off with a measly 5 months in county jail. That's his punishment for completely destroying another young mans life? Now he's free to spend the rest of his life living it up with all of his daddies money. Good ol' American justice for ya..

12. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Drunk and driving 130?

Sorry... but that is just horrible. He killed someone else. I understand he has friends and family but he truely was a jackass.

Thinking about it more the world got lucky that this is all the damage he did. He could have hurt a lot more people and ruined a lot more lives.

I feel like he we got lucky with his demise. It is not like he was a dumb 18 year old kid. He was 34 years old.

13. coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I completely agree with you. I have to admit, I sometimes enjoy watching bits and pieces of "Jackass" because it's so stupid funny. Dunn was a complete jackass and we are very lucky he didn't injure or kill innocent people. His passenger was not an innocent victim, as he was out with him prior to the wreck and knew Dunn was drinking.

14. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    THIS!!! You can *almost* forgive a kid for being so stupid. But 34 years old? REALLY!?!?

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but he truly was a jackass!! He was old enough to know better.

Maybe I'm turning into an old fogey, but I really, REALLY don't get the Jackass 'thing'. Those people are just stupid! And what's really bad is they are getting filthy rich from being so stupid! Maybe it was kinda cutting edge at first, but are we (as a society) really not bored to tears with this bunch?

15. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Nope, not bored with the Jackass movies/shows. It is entertainment as if taken as such... its entertaining. :D

16. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Jackass turned Dumbass.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    There is never any excuse for drunk driving. But it seems to fit the pattern of the high risk behavior that the Jackass crew exhibited for the show. It is just entertainment but not when it goes into real life.

18. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched Jackass 3.5 over the weekend and still laughed my butt off. Dunn stood out like a swore thumb due to what happened to him last week.