Dump D* for Cablecard Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SmokeBringer, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Dec 22, 2005 #1 of 107
    SmokeBringer

SmokeBringer New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Jamestown, RI
    Hi all,

I am thinking lately that I am not going to do the big D* "swap" - trading up (down...sideways?) to the new D* PVR, and instead migrate over to the Cablecard version of Tivo when it comes out. I don't think my wife will tolerate learning a new UI - she just has gotten used to "Now Playing".

I'm wondering what other folks are going to do when the new Tivo unit comes out?

Smoke

2. Dec 22, 2005 #2 of 107
    JohnTivo

JohnTivo Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Carlsbad, CA
    I'm going to re-evaluate my relationship w/ DirecTV. The R15 and HR20 do not interest me in the least. The HMC (Home Media Center) concept does though.. hopefully we'll see both the HMC and CableCard Tivo at CES.

Since I already have HD locals via Los Angeles, I'm not interested in HD LiL... but if D* starts rolling out more HD channels (SCI FI, TNT, or whatever HD) I might consider staying if the HMC is presented at CES and is scheduled to release mid next year. Otherwise, sign me up for a CableCard Tivo or two or three... :)

3. Dec 22, 2005 #3 of 107
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Until my cable company (TWC) greatly improves their HD, I won't be going anywhere.
    This isn't entirely TWC's fault, as our local OTA HD sucks.

4. Dec 22, 2005 #4 of 107
    Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...
    I've thought about the same thing, but we have COX and they only have 2 local network stations (CBS and PBS) in HD with no time table as to when the others will be added. At least it's pretty definate in another year or so D* will have all the locals in HD (I hope anyway...). Of course that would mean dumping TiVo though. I was hoping the media center unit would be the answer, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully CES will answer a lot of questions in a couple of weeks. I also would lose HDNet and I just plain don't want to lose that station!

5. Dec 27, 2005 #5 of 107
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I have DirecTV and just got a new HDTV. Been playing with a Sony DHG-HDD250 and a Comcast Motorola 6412. People who think those boxes are easy to use clearly haven't ever used Tivo.

I'd pay almost anything to have Tivo software run on the Sony box.

Looked at getting a HR10-250 for the Tivo interface, but don't want to activate the receiver and commit to DirecTV for two more years, especially at what it will cost me for the box that DTV will never provide updated Tivo software for.

I may keep renting the 6412 (Phase III) box until the Tivo software platform is released, but am concerned that the harddrive is too small to be reasonably useful for HiDef.

I didn't think I'd want a Standalone HD CC Tivo box. Now I want two.

For now, I'll keep my regular DirecTivos, record the HD content on the Sony box and wait for a true TivoHD option.

Since that's more likely to be with Comcast, I'll most likely be dropping DirecTV later this year.

6. Dec 27, 2005 #6 of 107
    ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I would strongly consider the CableCard HDTiVo. OTA sucks as only WB and Fox are anywhere near full power and DirecTV won't have an HD DVR for locals anytime soon.

7. Dec 27, 2005 #7 of 107
    etsolow

etsolow Don't Try

Feb 8, 2001
    Wisconsin
    I'm registering my support on all the HD CC Tivo threads I can find: unless the HMC turns out to be very compelling and available in a similar timeframe, I'll drop DirecTV and switch to the HD CC Tivo in a heartbeat.

8. Dec 27, 2005 #8 of 107
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I had the Sony for a few weeks, but returned it after getting frustrated with their TVGOS. You hit the nail on the head...those who've never used TiVo think the Sony is adequate. Over in the AVSForum in the Sony DHG-HDD250/500 thread, many think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Every time I posted something negative (accurate) about the unit, you'd think I was trying to instigate a riot. I'm saving my $$ for the TiVo CC HD unit, even if it's months away.

9. Dec 27, 2005 #9 of 107
    DrStrange

DrStrange New Member

May 18, 2000
    Unless the CableCARD Tivo is very screwed up somehow, I will be replacing all my DirecTivos with one. How quickly depends on how much the CC Tivo costs.

10. Dec 27, 2005 #10 of 107
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'm sure you'll see some mockup of the HMC at CES. Ucentric has been showing a mockup for 2 or maybe even 3 years now.

If it ever becomes more than vaporware will be another issue...

11. Dec 27, 2005 #11 of 107
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I am torn on this as well. I have DirecTV with two directivos. No HDTV yet.
    Plan on buying an HDTV set come early 2006. So that is when I will have to really determine the best solution for me when it comes to HDTV signals and who is better (Comcast or Directv)

I realize Comcast is more expensive but I will spend the extra money if I get more channels and better signals.

Looks like early 2006 will be very interesting...

12. Dec 27, 2005 #12 of 107
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I won't be changing anything.

I've got no problems with DIRECTV.

My HDVR2 isn't going to be turned off one day by DIRECTV.
    If it dies and I can't fix it I'll probably get a DIRECTV DVR.

13. Dec 27, 2005 #13 of 107
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I'm in the ditch D* and go CC TiVo as soon as it arrives. That's the point that I will upgrade to HDTV as well.

14. Dec 27, 2005 #14 of 107
    blah

blah New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ...but I've really gotten sick of not having any new features, especially TivoToGo. I'm ready to move to HD, but want a tivo-based system with dual tuners that will eventually have the latest tivo features. Unfortunately since that doesn't exist now (and never will with DirecTV), I'm waiting to upgrade to HD until I see how the CableCard and/or Comcast boxes look. While that's annoying, the sets will just keep getting cheaper, I guess.

15. Dec 27, 2005 #15 of 107
    SmokeBringer

SmokeBringer New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Jamestown, RI
    I live in RI and have Cox cable service. I have tried doing Google searches to find out where CC is avaliable and I have not had any luck. Does anyone know of any web source that tracks where CC has been deployed?

16. Dec 27, 2005 #16 of 107
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    for SD it's really tough to beat the directivo units even without all the new SA features.

But for HD, tivo is not a viable long term option with DirecTV. They force you to a 2 year commitment and likely within those 2 years there will be MPEG4 content that wont be accessible with the HD TiVo's. They 'wont turn off the HD Directivo's' one day but sometime in the coming months there will be channels on Directv in MPEG4 that the the current HD TiVo wont be able to get. Currently its an issue with HD locals in a handful of the largest markets. It will be an issue soon for most HD locals (by viewers) as Directv adds the top 24-36 markets. And at some point in months or at worst (best for HD TiVos) 2007 there will be national MPEG4 programming that will not be availible to HD TiVo's (national geographic, sunday ticket or other HD sports, starz HD, maybe TBS HD or InHD, or a collection of fox branded voom like channels, etc. )

I think many of the people clammoring for cablecard either have HD or are planning for a future with HD. For them the choice is cable company HD DVR, Some new NDS Directv HD DVR, or a cablecard TiVo.

17. Dec 27, 2005 #17 of 107
    dv8

dv8 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Seattle
    I think the new dish is what will move me back to comcast when the new HD Tivo CC comes out. The Tripple LBN already looks like hell in my front yard let alone making it twice the size. My only issue is I spent 1 grand for the 10-250 and if I drop D* and take no upgrade option and Comcast sticks with the same old HD ill be disappointed as well. Such a gamble... I might just sit back and watch from the side lines for awhile.

18. Dec 27, 2005 #18 of 107
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

you could just check with cox, but i believe they are one of the big 6 companies that was REQUIRED to have cablecard deployed last june.

The FCC website has the semiannual report from the big 6 with their deployment status and pricing and other tidbits. Poke around here for references to the report.

I'm not sure myself what the rule is for how fast the big 6 must deploy the multistream cards that TiVo might be building for, but the last cable company report said those would be deployed by the big 6 by mid year 2006. There weren't specifics if that meant everywhere the big 6 provide or what.

19. Dec 27, 2005 #19 of 107
    SmokeBringer

SmokeBringer New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Jamestown, RI
    I know Cox supports CableCard in San Diego and possibly VA, but I have seen nothing advertised here in RI. Calling a cable company for anything other than an emergency service issue is not something a sane person would attempt :)

20. Dec 28, 2005 #20 of 107
    frankygamer

frankygamer Member

Mar 18, 2002
    i'll be dumping D* to get a HD/CC Tivo recorder. :up: Haven't been impressed at all with D* the last few years.