Dumb to get a 2nd Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BankZ, Oct 16, 2011.

1. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I just got an Elite and I love it. I have a TiVo HD with lifetime. I am thinking about selling it to get a Premiere style TiVo.

The 4 tuners and 2TB should be enough for me. The UI in the Elite seems a little sluggish to me. I can live with it but would not want it any slower.

Think I should wait to see if they improve the speeds of the Premiere and enable MRS? Or do you think Elite to Elite is the way to go?

What I really want is a whole house DVR. One DVR records everything and then I stream it to different TVs

2. jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Join the long line of us waiting for the Tivo Preview to get released

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You could be waitng a long time.
    There has been no indication that the Preview will be available through retail outlets.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would say live with the Elite and TiVoHD for now and see what happens in the next year before replacing the TiVoHD. It is good to read you are happy with the Elite, it sounds like a winner to me from everything I have read.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But when they enable streaming you won't be able to do it with the TiVoHD. Only with the Premieres.
    There will be plenty of people selling their Premieres(like me) to help cover the cost of the Elite.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If my local area Best Buys hadn't sold out, I probably would have tried to sell my TiVo HD on ebay and upgraded to another Elite.

I guess I should be thankful they ran out since I don't really need it.

7. Ames

Ames Member

Sep 17, 2006
    You can use the old guide on the Elite.

8. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    This. The press release is quite clear that the Q/Preview are not retail products.

9. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    But the Q is an Elite with a smaller hard drive correct?

So people still have hope..

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would say that the Premiere Elite is a retail version of the Premiere Q. As far as I can tell the differences are:

1. Hard Drive Size: Q = 500GB, Elite = 2TB
    2. THX Certification: Q = No, Elite = Yes
    3. Remote Control: Q = Standard, Elite = back lit.
    4. Software: Q = Custom version for cable providers, Elite = Stand Alone DVR version

11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    So basically a Q is an Elite that has been souped down a bit so that it can compete in the cable environment without making their other offerings look completely laughable by comparison.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    As the owner of two Elites, I would have to say the answer to your question is "No". :D

13. jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I know but am holding out hope ... I never thought we'd see a >2 tuner model and definitely not 4 tuners

14. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Wait to they enable the MRS feature then see what sales they have. Maybe the elite will be discounted or the Premiere will be cheap and improved enoughj. Hopefully they will enable the second core like on the elite and be just as fast.

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    TiVo isn't going to discount the Elite anytime soon. It's primary market is custom home video installers, not general retail. One of the reasons it is packaged in a plain brown box.