Dumb Question: Will my dual tuner HD work with just one CableCARD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by notabbott, Sep 14, 2007.

1. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    One of my CableCARDs is DOA, and I'm getting a new one tomorrow. In the meantime, if I just take it out, will the box just work the way you would expect it to as a single-tuner unit? Right now it keeps trying to record on the tuner with the crap card, which is to say it's not recording anything. There are some hacks I can use to sort of correct for that, but they're kind of a pain in the butt.

Thanks in advance. Can't find this particular needle in the haystack of threads on the cards.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you pull out the card you will get prompted occasionally to re-run guided setup which you can ignore. The tuner without the cablecard will still be able to record unencrypted channels (like the local broadcast channels). A good strategy to make your Tivo use the tuner with the good cablecard as much as possible is to keep the other tuner as your foreground tuner since Tivo will pick the background tuner for recording 1st.

If you do re-run guided setup then I believe the unit would revert to single tuner mode only.

I lived with the same condition as you for about a week so this is all from personal memory/experience.

3. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, that's a much better hack than I had in mind. I was just making a point of having the foreground tuner on the right channel.