Dug up a TiVo series 1 cheap...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by uzumaki, Jan 5, 2012.

1. uzumaki

uzumaki New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    No remote controller but $5 for Phillips PTV300 HDR31203 is hard to pass up. After reading through, it looks like I could use this hooked to my satellite system to record video. Just a few question:

Is a remote controller really needed to do anything with it? Seems like there's only 1 button on the unit.
    Does it record closed captioning from video source?
    Is there a limit to hard drive size? I have an unused 500Gb PATA drive sitting around unused since I upgraded 2 of my PC and neither has PATA support. However not too long ago some computers had trouble with drive over 120GB``

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Generally, you can use a Philips S1 to record just about anything. It has a manual recording capability (like a VCR) that was disabled in newer models. A remote is needed because that button on the front is not really a button. You should be able to pick one up cheap on eBay or probably use a Universal remote. I've seen others post about the Universal remote but don't have personal experience to provide you. I have also read here that the normal drive size limit for these boxes is something like 137GB. Search the forum (or wait for other responders) on this topic. Seems like I recall that a firmware mod is required onboard the MB to bypass that limit. As for recording closed captioning, I don't think it has that capability. At least I didn't see any reference to it on the S1 I have.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It records the Line 21 closed captioning if it's in the source signal, but like a Series 2 it has nothing on the menu - it just passes it on through. All CC options are controlled by the TV.

I'm pretty sure a standard peanut remote will work. AFAIK the Sony TiVos were the only ones that used a different IR protocol.

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    That is true. I've successfully used an S1, S2/S3, and even a Premiere standard remote on my S1 Philips.

I forgot to mention that the first thing the OP should do is to hook up some RCA cables from the Tivo to his TV just to see if it successfully powers up. Then worry about getting a remote.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The Sony/Philips Series 1s had no buttons at all. They were all remote controlled. You need a remote with the thumbs to set it up at least.

It can record analog cable, analog antenna, or anything from a box which has composite, S-video, or Ch 3/4 RF out. You can control most DBS satellite or cable type boxes with a Series 1.

You need phone, serial PPP, or a network card to set up.

The drive upgrade forum will give details, but 500GB PATA will do with the LBA48 CD. No hardware mod is required for any hacks on the Series 1. You can use a USB IDE adapter to upgrade on modern PCs, with WinMFS.

I am sure there is CC on it. There is an easter egg which gives the developer credits, which displays them over CC.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a leftover computer or motherboard with PATA/IDE ports?

If not, you'll need one or two adapters backwards from the ones we use to put SATA drives in S1s and S2s.

Yes, you need a remote. That big round thing on the front is actually a very dark red piece of plastic through which IR passes.

Do you already have a universal you use with your sat system and tv?

If so, see if it has a code for a Philips TiVo in the booklet, if not try the code for a Philips VCR.

Practical hard drive size limit for an S1 is a 1TB drive (which of course will be a SATA, so Marvell chipset based adapter will be needed as well).

That's 1TB per drive, but since it's PATA, you can put 2 drives on the cable if you have an extra drive bracket.

If that 500GB drive is a WD Caviar Blue, then I'm afraid it won't work in an S1.

Some other kind of WD, probably, but I can't swear to it.

It'll work in an S2 just fine, but S1s are particularly finicky where both drives and SATA adapters are concerned.

First thing is to see if it works with the drive that's in it.

Next thing is to decide if you want to pay the monthly subscription fee, or just play with it. (unless it happens to already have Product Lifetime Service)

Look on the back, what's the date of manufacture?