Duel - 12/17/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, Dec 18, 2007.

1. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

No one started a thread for this yet?

I thought it was pretty good. Knowledge combined with strategy, combined with a big payout at the end.

The only downer was the teasers-to-commercial from the host.

I'm going to keep watching this (with 30 second skip of course).

2. latrobe7

latrobe7 Fine for real TCF Club

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    Concept was OK, but the teaser thing and just the general slow pace made it unwatchable for me. I like Mike Greenberg, but the whole bit about analyzing every decision as it was happening was ridiculous: "I see you pressed. Why did you do that?", "Why did you do ____" Arrgh! :rolleyes:

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    One "trend" that disturbs me:

This is a stand-there-and-answer-questions game show, not Survivor. The contestants do have last names. (Yes, they do show them when they appear on the winners board, but what does that say about the contestants who don't win a duel?)

I'm surprised nobody has put into the audition contracts a clause saying that if selected, the person has to change their name legally to (identifier of the show/season) (first name) - for example, Judd Winick would be "Real World San Francisco Judd", and Richard Hatch would be "Survivor Borneo Richard".
    (Meanwhile, the one show where you expect most of the contestants to end up being known by just their first name still uses last names - American Idol.)

-- Don

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was entertained, and I'm really not into gameshows. I agree, the teasers have got to go, even the studio audience and contestants were getting pissed off by it. I missed the first 40 minutes or so, do they only play for the real money on the last day of the week or something? How come that Monica girl didn't get any money from winning her duel?

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

I don't mean this the wrong way - but I have NO idea what you are getting at with this entire post.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Chips that the players lose along the way go to the final cash prize. Whatever chips they are left with after eliminating their opponent, they win at that point.

IIRC, Monica and her opponent both missed the same question, so they both lost all their chips and went into sudden death. So that's why she didn't win any money at that time.

As far as the teasers, I refer you to the 30 second skip!

7. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I read it three times and still have no clue.

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Add me to the :confused: list.

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the explanation.

I watched it live so I couldn't skip, but I'm thinking of recording it from now on.

10. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    This was the kind of show that Tivo was designed for. I made it through the 90 minute show in about 30. Thanks Tivo!

11. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Yeah I watched this at my friend's house, they complained that they didn't like it because it was so slow...but we fast forwarded through all the bs so I don't see the complaint. Yeah if we watched it live it would suck, but in FF it's a pretty decent 30 minute show.

12. flightrisk

flightrisk New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Seriously, I think you could watch it in 15.

We'll be right back after this! You're watching Duel on a TiVo® DVR!

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yet another that has no idea what he's saying. Is it a crime to only call people by their first names?

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Seriously every game show that has come out since WhoWantsToBeAMillionaire has had the exact same complaints that it starts out too slow. 1vs100 immediately comes to mind, and they fixed that after a few weeks. I think a lot of this is that the production team gets much better at flow, cameras, etc and the game starts to move along.

For what it's worth, I thought this was a very good effort. The game seems solid and will be fun to watch all week. I think it's great that there is a big jackpot at the end....and that there will be an end in sight. Making it a 1-week event makes this much more appealing than a once-a-week show.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I found it boring and already canceled my season pass.

16. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm glad I can watch this at 1.25x speed on my MythTV box and skip the commercials. Otherwise I don't think it would be worth it.

I was quite annoyed when the contenders randomly came up a second time to be considered for a duel, yet they STILL had them 'introduce' themselves as if the previous parts of the show hadn't happened. One introduction per episode per person will suffice. By the way, are any of the contestants real? They all seem like actors to me. Especially the "author" and the "used car salesman." Nobody seems to act like a 'normal' person like I see on "The Price is Right."

The host is doing what seems to be a lousy Peter Coyote impression. It's rather hilarious!

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    As I understand it, they were producing the show with the impression that it was going to be an hour per episode -- and then when ABC decided the episodes should be 90 minutes, they ended up having to not edit out some of the things that they would have otherwise edited out (and should have edited out).

They're in pre-production for a new prime-time version of "Password" that's supposed to air next year. I think I can already predict how that's going to go...

Announcer: The password is "white."
    Host: All right, the people at home have heard the password. You may give your first clue.
    Contestant: Uh..."black."
    Host: Mm-hmm, mm-hmm. Now, why did you give that clue?
    Contestant: Um...because it's the opposite of the word.
    Host: I see. Now, do you have any idea what it is?
    D-List Celebrity: I think - I think I can take a guess.
    Host: All right, well, then you can go ahead and take your guess...right after this commercial break.

18. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    I really like to listen to Mike Greenberg in the morning on the way to work but I found him stiff and his interactions with the contestants seemed strained. He just did not seem to act natural up on stage like I thought he would have based upon previous work.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Good "ancient" reference, Dennis Miller.

(just kidding)

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I watched it on my Toshiba XS32 with 1.5x speed, and STILL started fast forwarding through chunks of it later on. I still think I watched (at higher speed) most of it.
    Even with that seeming complaint, it was fairly interesting, and I'll keep watching it this week.

I admittedly didn't really pay attention at the very beginning so hadn't figured out the rules early on. There were a lot of them that I am amazed at least one contestant didn't know (the Scoville one)... I was amazed people were using more than one of the tiles very often.