Dual Tuner TiVo - how much?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by mikerr, Nov 7, 2009.

Whats the max you would pay for a Twin Tuner TiVo?

1. £100

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. £200

20 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. £300

33 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. £400

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Nov 7, 2009 #1 of 26
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

Serious poll:

What is the maximum you would pay for a twin tuner freeview TiVo (the Australian one),
    working in the UK (still requiring a UK sub).

£100 / £200 / £300 / £400 / £500 ?

..and don't all click £100!

2. Nov 7, 2009 #2 of 26
    katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Have gone for £200. I would have gone for £300 or maybe even £400 if I was able to get the programs that I watch from anywhere other than Sky but sadly the evil Murdock empire has me by the short and curlies :(

I would love to be able to pay just for the handful of channels I watch at say £1 per channel per month rather than having to subscribe to a whole bundle of stuff that I would never watch. I also wish there was someway to hide all the unwanted channels in that awful Sky EPG but I guess that only irks me becuase I am one of those who has been spoilt for life by the Tivo EPG

3. Nov 7, 2009 #3 of 26
    jdwood37

jdwood37 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bedford, UK
    Dual Tuner would be nice but a problem also is the Tivo Guide which seems to miss the start / end of recordings quite a lot these days (only updates once a day, using 'scheduled times'). I've tried the Panasonic PVR which records exactly on time even if a program is running late! :confused: But terribly complicated to use!

4. Nov 8, 2009 #4 of 26
    Richard42

Richard42 New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Oxford,Oxfor...
    I've gone for the £100 :eek: because that's what it would cost to get a second ( or in my case 3rd :D ) TiVo from Ebay. Why pay more ?
    Now if you're offering other extra features as well that may be different.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #5 of 26
    staffie2001uk

staffie2001uk New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Preston,...

Advertisements

I went with £300, as my Humax Foxsat PVR was only £250, but if it was HD compatible then maybe £400. Hell, if I could replace the series one and my Humax 9300 with an HD TiVo maybe £500. I would need more specs/details to be certain what it is worth to me.

Cheers,

6. Nov 8, 2009 #6 of 26
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    If dual freeview tuners isn't enough of an extra feature for you, the aus tivo also has HMO:
    http://www.mytivo.com.au/whatistivo/tivois/newfeatures/homenetworking/

7. Nov 8, 2009 #7 of 26
    Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...
    Was this just a bit of fun? or real market research? I went for £400, but it would really depend on the complete spec.

8. Nov 8, 2009 #8 of 26
    staffie2001uk

staffie2001uk New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Preston,...
    Looking around the Aus TiVo site that Mikerr posted, the Aus TiVos are going for AU$699. This is close to £400, so if it is a buy and import scenario, I can't see much change out of £500. For a HD compatible twin tuner TiVo with a good sized hard drive that might be acceptable. But what of guide data?

If TiVo were importing them, then a UK price of £350 would be feasible, and very attractive if UK HD compatible. I'd happily pay £10 a month on top of the box for that spec in a TiVo.

9. Nov 8, 2009 #9 of 26
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    £300 for a dual tuner, HD compatible unit with a sensible lifetime/multiyear discount sub. I'd be more tempted by Freesat and Freeview multi tuner compatibility but I'd certainly settle for dual Freeview.

10. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    i have voted £300. that said, if it didnt support channel changing of a Sky box, i'd be gutted that I couldnt get one.

11. pj280167

pj280167 New Member

Dec 21, 2005

I agree, £300 with all the above sounds reasonable to me

12. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    Dual HD Tuner, Freeview TiVo with HMO. Come on guys!! If Mike is thinking what I'm thinking he's thinking you should be clicking the £400 option. If Mike is going to modify the hardware and software as required I'm right behind him.

We've all been moaning about the lack of new tivo hardware for as long as I can remember and Mike did say this was a serious poll so here's hoping.

Martin

13. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Well as staffie2001uk said, if I imported them it would likely come to £500 and be unsupported by TiVo.

The poll is for an officially produced TiVo model, for which much lower price points would be possible.

Pie in the sky? TiVo do have a UK proof of concept version, but no plans to release it. Allegedly :)

14. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    I think that a PC-based TiVo, where one could add extra USB tuners, add internal or external hard drives, use a BluRay drive, and can be networked together, could meet my criteria for a Media Center.

I like my Windows 7 Media Center, but I don't particularly want an operating system to intrude on my media management. Maybe a Linux-based Acer Aspire Revo that hosts a software TiVo might fit the bill.

Networked TiVos that could use a shared EPG to allocate recordings to available tuners, and stream the results back to any of them, would be an ideal solution. The shared EPG should be handled by a single lifetime subscription.

Using file-sharing techniques to keep the EPG up-to-date, and share recorded content, could also be used.

As stated several times before, I don't think that having accurate broadcast timings is going to help unless one can have enough tuners to allow for recordings from different channels that subsequently overlap. Personally, I find that three tuners is probably the minimum, and I don't watch that many channels.

15. bryl

bryl New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Come on Tivo. I'll help you prove the concept. I'm getting on now but I *will* write to father christmas if it helps. I still remember the magic of that first christmas all those years ago. ;)

16. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    £100 only if it's HD, and no sub.

Sorry, but that's the market out there. £300 for a PVR is just silly these days. They'd never shift them in the stores when there are much cheaper things on the market.

But I've changed my mind after much deliberation and just got Sky+HD installed. I just can't do without HD. Yes the EPG sucks. Dual tuner, HD and digital audio makes up for the weaknesses for me.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    £100 for a UK TiVo HD requiring sub, and full featured with sub. None of this extra for HME/TTG like the Aussies pay.

18. stevencarpenter

stevencarpenter New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Hmm, who said TiVo needs to sell from a store like Comet or Dixons? I'd happily buy one if it were pitched at a high end user with a web based support and order management portal.

TiVo screwed up big style last time by trying to sell to the common chap, yet now everyone 'gets' putting a live broadcast on hold, thanks to $ky.

We have not mentioned subscription free which would also be my choice. So £400 for the unit (HD spec Freesat + Freeview), access to Amazon content like the US, web access via TiVo central, and £400 for a lifetime sub.

10 years ago lots of people laughed at £400 + £200, yet its the best AV investment I ever made and still used every day... :)

19. ash10

ash10 New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    UK
    I'd be happy to pay quite handsomely for a more up-to-date, twin-tuner box - provided that I could transfer my lifetime sub...

20. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    what do you mean by a proof of concept version. This new v irgin deal will put that to bed now anyway as the contract is 'mutually exclusive'