Dual tuner not working with comcast, philadelphia

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mdcubsfan, Jul 28, 2006.

1. mdcubsfan

mdcubsfan New Member

Jul 28, 2006

Advertisements

hi there! newbie here, desparate to see if anyone can help

i've already wasted several hours with tivo and comcast customer support, so if anyone here can help, i'd greatly appreciate it!

just got a DT tivo....went to set it up, did just as instructed....

wall cable line, split; one end into "cable in" on the cable box....other end into "rf in" on the tivo....

in setup, tivo can find the cable box setup without problmes...then it goes to the "basic cable" settings, and can't find any picture....just a black screen....

so i tried plugging in the wall cable line directly into tv to test, channels are totalyl scrambled, they work but they're all over the place...

so then i've been told here in center city, philadelphia, i'm required by comcast to use a digital cable box even though i dont have digital cable...they say otherwise the signal is scrambled....

so then i try plugging a line from the back of the cable box the "to tv/vcr" into the "rf in" on the tivo...again, no signal...that perplexes me since if i plug that directly into tthe tv, i can get a signal that works.....

any suggestions? sorry such a long post/question!!!!!!! thanks in advance

2. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I live in Northeast Philly and I can not watch one channel while recording another using my single tuner series 2 because comcast scrambles all of the good channels except local and government channels.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    The RF connector is for analog only. To make this work you will need the digital cable box and then run the composite cable from it to the TiVo. The analog tuner will only display the non-scrambled channels.

4. mdcubsfan

mdcubsfan New Member

Jul 28, 2006
    thanks for the help and the advice......

timstack, but do you jknow of a way to make it work with a dual tuner since i have a dual tuner? i used to have a single tuner, and couldn't watch one channel while recording another, but figure with the DT it should work....?

funto - i have the digital cable box; i have the wire from the wall to the cable box, and composite from the bacl box to the tivo...but it just won't detect the "basica cable" channels ...are my basically out of luck?

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Advertisements

You are out of luck. Because you need a cable box to view anything, a DT Tivo is of no benefit to you.

6. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    In the guided setup you have to pick basic cable channel to get a picturei if dont you get ablack screen. Is like channel 3 in the digtal box. Does any one know what channel it is?? Here in new york its channel 31 I hope this halps a little :confused:

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Something doesn't sound right - you should AT MINIMUM be able to see your local channels over the cable unscrambled.

8. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    They may be unencrypted, but unless his dual-tuner TiVo has a QAM tuner in it, it's very likely he can't demodulate direct-from-cable digital signals, unless they are being sent analog typically channels 2-78. Some cable companies are moving to all QAM modulation, meaning you need a QAM tuner or external cable box to demodulate. If there are no analog channels on his cable system, and if his TiVo does not have a QAM tuner, then he'll need another method to get those signals demodulated.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Since when did the FCC allow local channels to be transmitted in any way that REQUIRES a seperate device to decode them? I understand QAM modulation, but don't see how the MSOs can drop analog locals.

10. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. Surely the locals can remain analog and need to under current FCC rules. But that's what, a handful, or two, of stations? I assumed the OP wanted more than that.

But be aware that cable companies are beginning to deploy digital-only boxes, a consequence being that they are duplicating all their current analog signals to digital modulation (QAM). I imagine if the cable companies wanted to deploy thousands and thousands of digital boxes (at their cost), the FCC might look the other way, and I think the regulations support that, but not 100% sure of that. Do you know?

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't, but I also don't see why they would bother.

12. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Perhaps they want to add more shopping and PI (per-inquiry/infomercial) channels and that would give them the bandwidth? :)