Dual Tivo setup questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by red1210, Aug 15, 2006.

1. red1210

red1210 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I currently have a Hughes Series 1 unit that is about 4 years old. I just purchased a Series 2 unit bc my old unit is almost fried. It won't make a call bc it will never retrieve the local numbers to call. It fails or simply stalls at the "rendering?" stage forever. I moved a few years ago and have never made a daily call in almost 3 years.

I bought the Series 2 unit off of eBay and the account is paid until the end of the year. I have DirectTV and the Series 1 unit is a DTV Tivo unit. The previous owner used the unit with cable. Do I have to go throught the initial setup phase again if Im switching to satellite??

Also, when I try to connect to the Tivo service everything is fine until I get to the downloading stage. It stays there forever and never completes. I can make test calls perfectly fine. Any suggestions??

Please let me know any concerns on my setup and anything that needs to be adressed.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm using the old Series 1 unit as the satellite receiver into the Series 2.

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Yes you need to do guided setup.

Downloading the first time will take some time. How long is forever? It could take 30-60 minutes to download data, possibly longer.

I am not sure that the standalone TiVo has the capability to control the Directv TiVo to change channels. You would be much better off getting a Series 2 DirecTiVo from ebay. You get two tuners and the Directv DVR service is cheaper.

3. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    The dual tuner can only record 1 direct tv input and requires analog cable to record more than one channel at at time.

you could get "lifeline" cable for locals and then the Dual tuner can record network television and use the direct tv av input to record the the rest. Most confilcts are caused by a rigid no repeating network schedule anyway. Other stations tend to repeat content.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It seems you need a satellite receiver, as the unit you bought hs no satellite tuner built in, just an analog cable tuner, or capablility for a digital cable or satellite box.