Dual N adapters

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mover480, May 10, 2011.

1. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Has anyone tried this with a G router? How well does it work with the Premiere?

The TiVo Wireless N Adapter Double Pack enables you to create a fast, N-speed connection without having to upgrade your entire home network*. Just plug one adapter into your TiVo box and the other into your existing wireless G- or B-speed router and you'll establish an N-speed connection to move your HD entertainment faster.

2. A@ron

A@ron New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Never seen or tried it but it sounds like a N wireless bridge set.
    Another option which I've used in the past and worked well is a ethernet powerline networking kit.

3. rija17876

rija17876 New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I just purchased a Tivo Premiere, and was going to buy the Tivo N Adapter as everyone recommends. However, it get maximum utility, can anyone tell me if the Netgear Wireless N Router will also work?

Thank you.

4. esjones

esjones Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I have purchased the TiVo N adapter, and a TrendNet b/g/n wireless router (2.4 GHz only). I was very disappointed. I was not getting higher transfer speeds, AND the connection was not stable.

I am still using the N adapter with my older b/g router (it is running in g mode) and it works as well as my older TiVo G adapter did.

I have been doing some reading, and think I will get the performance I want if I buy a N router that offers 5 GHz operation.

Through some quirk in the standard, an "N" wireless device can be 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz or support both bands. Most advice suggests that 5 GHz is the way to go for best performance, for many reasons.

5. A@ron

A@ron New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    yes there are benefits to getting a dual band router capable of 5 GHz output. Before any router purchase I encourage people to visit smallnetbuilder.com and read their reviews. The cheap N routers are horrid, sometimes you get what you pay for.

For best results you want to look at simultaneous dual band routers like the WNDR3700 and others.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I use the WND3700 by Netgear and the TiVo N adapter on three TP (another TP has a direct router connection) and get great MRV times, 20 to 30 minutes/per 1 hour of a network HD program. I am using the 5GHZ N system.