Dual Layer or Blu Ray/HDD Soon??

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by MikeRadio, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003

Advertisements

I an very happy with my Tivo/DVD Burner, but unlike my other DVD burners, this does NOT do DUAL LAYER.

Does anyone know if a unit will come out that WILL Support DVD-R DL (or DVD+RL DL) at any time?

It is annoying to have one 2 hour show on a DVD, or have to go to medium quality to jam a 2 and a half hour show on the disc.

Will a unit like this come out.. OR will a BluRay or HDD Tivo Come out sometime in 2006.

I can not be the only one annoyed by the limitation of a single layer DVD!

Mike

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 21
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The hardware in the current units supports DVD+R-DL and DVD-R-DL, so theoretically it could be a software update.

I wouldn't expect to see a TiVo/BD or TiVo/HD-DVD box this year. They're too new and too niche, and will be very expensive.

3. dgutley

dgutley New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Any update on the dual layer issue? Took 3 Discs to burn the OSU - ND Fiesta Bowl. Grrrrrrrrrr.

4. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No updates yet.

5. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003

Advertisements

SO your saying in my Toshiba DVD Burning Tivo, it would only take a software upgrade to convert it to be able to brun DUal Layer discs?
    ?

What are they waiting for?

Is this confirmed

6. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    MikeRadio - the DVD Drive in the Humax is literally just a Pioneer SuperDrive, you can see the model number in your prefs where it lists all the system info. I'd bet the Toshiba is simlar with DL support. Just not supported in the software. YET.

7. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003

Where can you see that listed? What do I look for?

8. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Look in the System Information screen.

The units have either a Pioneer DVR-108 or DVR-109 drive, which are 'SuperDrives' that do DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW, and dual-layer. But the current software is limited to single layer DVD-R/RW.

9. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Whenc an we get this in the software then.. I mean its silly having to span discs

10. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    There is no word on if it will ever be added.

11. danylati

danylati New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    and why only dvd- and no dvd+

12. HotStuff2

HotStuff2 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Sorry if this has been posted before, but has anyone heard of HVD?

"HVD will destroy HD Dvd and Blu-ray"

"Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an advanced optical disc technology still in the research stage which would greatly increase storage over Blu-ray and HD DVD optical disc systems. It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one blue-green, are collimated in a single beam. The blue-green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminium layer near the bottom. Servo information is used to monitor the position of the read head over the disc, similar to the head, track, and sector information on a conventional hard disk drive. On a CD or DVD this servo information is interspersed amongst the data. A dichroic mirror layer between the holographic data and the servo data reflects the blue-green laser while letting the red laser pass through. This prevents interference from refraction of the blue-green laser off the servo data pits and is an advance over past holographic storage media, which either experienced too much interference, or lacked the servo data entirely, making them incompatible with current CD and DVD drive technology [1]. These disks have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, which is approximately 160 times the capacity of single-layer Blu-ray Discs. The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s. Optware is expected to release a 200GB disc in early june of 2006."

13. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yes - and holographic systems have been 'the next big thing' since before DVD. It looks like next year the first commercial holographic disc may ship, holding 300GB. It will cost many times what a Blu-ray Disc costs, and the drives will also cost several times what even BD drives cost.

You won't be seeing these in consumer systems for years, if ever. The media will likely always be more complex, and therefore more expensive, than BD media. And once you get to 100GB or beyond, most consumers don't need more capacity. (100GB BD media is already being shown by TDK - 4 layers.) The only advantage would be physically smaller media with high capacity, but the cost curve will need to come way down before it is viable.

Keep in mind that Blu-ray has been on sale in Japan for 2+ years in pre-1.0 versions, and before that Sony used the basic technology in commercial data systems. These things have long gestation periods befor they become consumer products - if they ever do.

The real question would be - what need would drive the adoption of holographic media? HD is driving BD (and HD-DVD), but BD is more than enough to handle 1080p HD, and it has a growth curve beyond 50GB (100GB sampled, as I said, and 200GB shown in the lab). There would have to be a need to get the content industry to shift.

14. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    '-' media has a higher level of compatibility with players, and it is the standard from the DVD Forum, so that's what the vendors elected to support. Most consumer systems support '-' instead of '+', TiVo or not.

15. sik209

sik209 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    hopefully and hd dvd!! that would 0wn!

16. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003

Never would say you don't nee dmore capacity.

I remember when a 40 MB (yes MB) hard drive was considered the top of the line.

My new computer will have 1.5 TB of hard drive...

You can never have too much as far as disc and storage capacity.... video and other things were unheard of years ago... who knows what the future will bring.

Back on subject, anyone get their toshiba or humax DVD Tivo to burn dual layer???

17. BruceDeVries

BruceDeVries New Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Orange, CA
    I have a Toshiba DVD/Tivo and have had problems just burning DVD's due to internal errors. I'm assuming a glitch in the original recording, but I'm not sure. I am planning on replacing the hard disc drive as the unit is nearly 4 years old now. I'm glad to hear that my DVD burner is capable of dual layer and I can only hope that TIVO enables this feature. What I really want is a unit with HD capability and a blu-ray recorder. Is this going to happen or is there industry opposition to us having HD copies of the shows we are recording. I understand a BluRay recorder/HD TiVO might cost $1000 considering current TIVO HD prices, but it would be worth it especially if is handles satellite boxes with composite and HDMI outputs. Official TIVO comments please!

18. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Y did you bring this dead topic back?

19. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    If you're willing to spend $1000 on a TiVo then you can build an HTPC with a Blu-ray drive and run Nero Liquid on it.

20. ryan87500

ryan87500 Member

Nov 30, 2004
    What would happen if you put a bluray computer drive in the Toshiba or Humax? Would it not even recognize the drive?