Dual Inputs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cap'n Jack, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack New Member

Jan 11, 2006

Advertisements

New poster to this forum and I hope I'm in the right forum, so here goes…

I have the 3LNB dish and currently have 4 receivers hooked to it. I just purchased an new DVR to replace one of the standard receivers and would like to hook up both inputs to the unit. I know I can get a 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch to accomplish this but I don’t really want to have to run another cable to receivers’ location. Is it possible instead to take the one lead that is attached to the receiver and using a 1x2 multiswitch (not a splitter) to create two inputs from the one cable run?

Thanks in advance.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Um no. What would be required is a stacker/destacker situation which can be quite expensive.

3. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm not sure what that is, but why is it different then putting a 4x8 multiswitch below the built in 3x4 switch in the dish?

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
  5. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...

Advertisements

The link above says it all. The absolute best way is to have (at least) two seperate lines from the dish into the mutiswitch then allocated according to your needs. The DirecTV Tivo required two lines for full funcionality (i.e., two tuners). You can use only one tuner, though.

If you have a central location where the coax enters the house with two lines, just move the DVR there and use a IR extender to control it from the room where you watch TV.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need a two coaxes or a stacker/destacker and maybe a multiswitch at the dish.

There is no such thing as 1x2 multiswitch, due to the nature of mutliswitches needing two inputs to begin with.