DTV HD + Tivo vs Comcast HD Dvr

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nipseyrussell, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 29
    nipseyrussell

nipseyrussell Steelworker

Oct 11, 2003
    Hello, i just got a HD plasma (Panasonic TH-42PX50U) over the holidays and now I'm struggling with how to get HD on the dam thing!

I currently have Direct TV satellite and I was really happy with the DTV/tivos combination that we had. Looks like if i wanted to stay with DTV, i'd need to get a new $400 hd-dvr, get an antenna for locals (!!!), and would end up with less HD channels than with comcast. (Also, i think that they are changing all their satellite technology later this year to MPEG4...so might need new boxes then??)

Alternately, i can go to comcast, but then its more expensive, i have to chuck the existing DTV-tivos (which I own & love and only pay $5/month for tivo service) and RENT DVRs from comcast at $10/ month EACH....and lose some of the tivo-specific functionality.

Do the above sound correct? If so, I will probably leave DTV and move over to comcast. Am I missing any decision making factors?

Follow up questions:

Do both the DTV and comcast hd-dvrs have hdmi output? Or maybe component is ok?

Also, this tv is one of the more popular hd flat panels out there and has gotten good reviews in the consumer-grade publications.....maybe not in the high-end reviews....BUT, when i got home i was incredibly disappointed in how regular definition looked on it (much worse than my old crappy CRT). Anyone know if there would be a difference in how standard def would look from DTV vs comcast?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i appreciate any feedback!

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 29
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Other then DirecTV is releasing a new HD-DVR (not TiVo based though) in mid-2006 (per the most recent press releases). You pretty much got it right.

Standard Def would look about the same on both services.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 29
    The_Dude99

The_Dude99 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    I made the switch from Tivo to HD DVR from comcast. Tell Comcast that you are switching from sat, and you will get high speed internet and cable for under $70 a month. I prefere Tivo's interface a lot more, but I can't live without HD now.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 29
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I was in the same position you are. I refused to pay $400 for obsolete equipment. D* was previously offering $299-$100 to many people. Even after that was over many people were and still are getting the HD DVR for about $200. Me, they wanted to charge $400. So I called Comcast. I am getting their Digital Silver package for $25 off per month for the next 16 months. I also got their high speed internet and phone service for $69.99 per month for the next 12 months. The total is $20 more than I was paying for all of these services but I am getting HBO, much faster internet, HD channels, no antenna, On Demand, free long distance phone service, no contract, no buying equipment and having to pay to fix it, etc. Comcast will have a true Tivo early next year.

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 29
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    You're absolutely certain of that? Because I'm of the mind that Comcast will look after it's interests first and foremost and if they consider any feature TiVo submits as dicey, it will be shot down. Time will tell.

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 29
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Behold!

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 29
    Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    Nice, except that's the standalone box and not the fabled Comcast Tivo. Still nice to see though. As a recent defectee (?) from DirecTV to Comcast for precisely the same reasons as the OP (I even have the same TV!), I'm hopeful of getting TiVo back in my life again.

OTOH, since I live in Seattle and we use the Microsoft Foundation software on our Comcast boxes and since MS invested $4 billion in Comcast, I'm figuring we'll be the last to get Tivo here.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 29
    SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    That's good news Beam!

I'm glad too see the new Series 3 :)

I too am like the OP and Kev with Comcast and wanting
    the mysterious Comcast/TiVo combo box to appear.

But this might do the trick nicely...

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 29
    tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    So, did you add a bigger hard drive? Or just pull the existing hard drive? :rolleyes:

10. nipseyrussell

nipseyrussell Steelworker

Oct 11, 2003
    thanks, all
    i too am hopeful that comcast will release a tivo dvr....
    ...after reading all the rumors, i think the latest i heard is that the boxes will stay the same and comcast will just push tht tivo software out to the boxes, but to use hte tivo software you might have to pay ANOTHER $3/month
    arggh

11. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Yup. And while a lot of people are whooping it up over the unit, understandable, there's still some unknowns about the unit as far as pricing for service and box, exactly what service will be tied to it. Like I said I can understand that people are starved for it, but I'd like to know more before I consider investing.

12. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Here's my problem with the new box. I currently have 4 TV's in my house. Each has a dual tuner DirecTV box hooked to it. That's a total of 8 tuners I have today. For this setup I pay roughly $15 extra a month for the three mirroring charges.

With the now Tivo boxes I'm going to pay Tivo a bundle in monthly license fees. PLus pay my cable company from $3 to $100 a month extra to rent the 8 cable cards I will need to replace my current functionality.

No matter how good it is I can't justify the extra epense.

On top of that until cable card 2.0 comes out I lose the ability to watch PPV movies. My nearest Blockbuster is a 30 minute drive in one direction.

13. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    Eliminated the "Black Lab To Go" feature.
    :)

14. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, it occurs to me that with dual Cable Cards and, I'm assuming, encrypted QAM support, you really wouldn't need the Comcast box anymore unless you were really into PPV or On Demand (I don't use either very much). Personally, I'd trade On Demand for Wishlists and TiVO Suggestions in a heartbeat. Of course, the TiVO monthly fee is going to be higher than the $5/mo. that Comcast charges for their (admittedly inferior) DVR.

15. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I think the Series 3 Tivo box is encouraging, but after reading the price rumors ($500 - $800), I'm not as hot on the box as I thought I would be. Sure, the HR20 and Comcast Tivo might not have all the cool features (MRV, HMO, etc.) as a standalone Tivo, but if both boxes are "working dual-tuner HD DVRs", and I only have to pay $10/month, it's hard to justify spending $500-800 up-front just to get the "extras". If the Comcast Tivo is any good, I'll probably switch to cable for that. If the HR20 is any good, I may stick with DirecTV for a while (since it will be free).

The way I look at it, renting the DVR from Comcast/DirecTV (or, in my case, getting one free as a replacement for my HR10-250) it will take 4-5 years before I've spent the same as I would spend up-front on a Series 3. During those years I fully expect to go through at least one replacement cycle, with some new box hopefully with better features and more capacity. If I have to buy a "Series 4", that would be even more money out of my pocket. If I'm renting, they'll just swap out the box (or I can switch providers).

With the state of DVRs (fast changes) it makes more sense right now (IMHO) to lease than to purchase a $500-800 box. Maybe this won't be true in the future with full 2-way cable-cards and the competition between Microsoft, Apple and standalone PVRs (like Tivo Series 3).

16. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    Spot on. However, if the rumors are true and Comcast is just going to put TiVo on the Moto 6412, I'll be pretty disappointed. It's a pretty balky device (I've had 3 replaced due to tuner failures in the 6 weeks since I switched to Comcast) and it has a paltry recording capacity (just 20 hours of HD at best).

17. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I was under the impression that the box would be manufactured by Comcast's supplier, but running whatever version of TiVo software they condone.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I know zippo about cable and tivo so please forgive the newbie question. But aren't these stand alone tivos? I was hoping maybe to just get my cable (not comcast), maybe the card if i need it, then use it just like my HDtivo to record 2 hi def programs.

When people are talking about how comcast configures and stuff, I dont understand it. I thought with a cable card, except for the guide and few other things, this tivo would be 'just' like the directivo i own now, and maybe even 'better'.

Hope you understood what i'm trying to ask. I thought tivo standalone was 'plug and play.'

19. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    2 different things. The Series 3 box announced at CES is a standalone, but since it has Cable Card support you can use it without the box supplied by your cable company and still receive all channels (including encrypted channels). But TiVo and Comcast announced a deal last year to put TiVO software on the boxes that Comcast rents to subscribers. My point really was that if the standalone gives you access to all channels, provides the TiVO channel guide and other TiVO features, you don't really need the Comcast (or whatever) version of the TiVO box. I suppose, though, the advantage is that you'd be able to rent from your cable company vs. buy from TiVO, assuming all other things are equal (see my above post about the shortcomings of the 6412).

20. jlas75

jlas75 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    I have the TiVo HR10-250 and am currently a DirecTV customer. Can I cancel service with DirecTV and still use the TiVo receiver as a HD receiver for my "over-the-air" HD antenna? And, will the TiVo functionality still work with my HD antenna if I cancel DirecTV service?

I am thinking about moving over to Comcast. Does TiVo make a HD stand alone dual tuner receiver that integrates with Comcast?

Ideally, I wish TiVo would make a receiver for Comcast just like the HR10-250 works with DirecTV. I would only add a dual tuner so you do not need two (2) separate cable lines for recording different programming at the same time.

Does this already exist?

Thank you in advance!