DTV: Bait & Switch Crooks?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by austinmojo, Aug 13, 2008.

1. austinmojo

austinmojo New Member

May 29, 2002

Advertisements

Beware: Direct TV is Bait and Switch Crooks

I've been a subscriber since 2002 and have been happy with DTV.
    But NOT ANYMORE!!!

I got the call to swap out my owned HR-10-250 DVR which I purchased for $385.79 on 09/15/05. Not to mention that I subscribed to the protection plan.

Talked to CS rep "Rick" on 8-12-08 @ 11:30 am EST and I thought I got this deal:

New HD-DVR HR 21
    New 5 LNB dish + multiswitch
    Free installation
    + I keep my HR10-250 DVR
    and NO COMMITTMENT!!!!

I thought it was a fair deal considering I plunked down nearly $400 for equipment which was only usable (for HD) to me for only 3 years.

After 3 cancelled installations because the installers didn't bring the right mulitswitch, the new installation was completed today.

The installer wanted me to sign an Addendum to Agreement contract that would include a new 2 year commitment. I refused.

I called a CS rep and I asked for a supervisor.

Nasty supervisor BRANDY #2358 gets on the phone and sarcastically apologizes that CS rep gave me incorrect information but I am subject to a 2 year commitment as everyone else is. I can't believe this lying woman is a supervisor for CS. DTV needs to send her back to her old job at the laundromat.

I informed this rude woman that I read the tivo community forum online and I know that this is not true.

Is Bait and Switch something that anyone here experienced with DTV?

Should I call retention?

Does anyone here have any suggestions to get this fixed?

P.O'ed in Detroit,

Joe:mad:

2. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    Not a B&S. Looks like MOST people have to commit to a new 2yr deal. When I got the same upgrade they offered you, I did NOT have to add 2 yrs.

Call the retention dept. BTW, they could care less that you read any forum.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Oh, and make sure you are the same charming self that posted the original post. That will definitely win you friends and open all kinds of doors.

4. Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...
    How is it not a "bait & Switch" if that is what they told him? It isn't material that other people have had to make a two year commitment. All that matters is he carefully qualified with them that he would not have to, they agreed, then after the install tried to change the terms. Whether intentional or part of their conveniently common "mistakes" from allegedly uninformed or poorly trained CSR's it seems B&S to me.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

I would think that the records for CSR "Rick" should show the "deal". And, even if the deal was given in error DirecTV should stand by it. Then and only then would they get their CSRs proper training.

6. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    I'm with Jim. It took me three months and I don't know how many calls, but they did eventually remove the charge for my "free" DVR. That's what the CSR offered and that's what I got -- eventually. OTOH, I think the 2 year commitment is a hard one to get waived. But then, I'm already on record as thinking that's no big deal. You've been a happy customer for 6 years -- were you planning to leave before they told you not to? A bigger deal to me would be trading equipment that I owned for leased equipment -- hint, they will waive the lease fee if you press it. You did get them to waive the lease fee, didn't you?

7. Klips

Klips New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Kokomo, Indiana
    While I am planning to call them very soon, they actually left a message on my answering machine stating 'FREE' and 'NO Commitment'. So it will be interesting to see if they tell me any different.

8. jfischer

jfischer New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    I did my upgrade in January, and I'm pretty sure I got away with no commitment then. I'd have to check my DirecTV statement online, but I think at the time I did check it and it showed no commitment.

9. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    They got me for a two year commitment when they sent me a DVR I didn't ask for, then a letter saying I was getting charged $150 if I did not connect it. So, I connected it and called *D and they said since I connected it I got a 2 year commitment.

I thought it was quite sneaky but they said they could not reverse it and some things are not worth the hassle. I eventually got another HR20 and another 2 year commitment :).

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Don't ya just love D*? :)

11. Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...
    Don't count on either of these things. I can't even recall how many times I have had interactions with DirecTV CSR's where, based on my previous experience I am openly skeptical of their claims and go to lengths to clarify them and actually ask them to read back what they put in their notes, only to have a problem and follow-up and have the subsequent supervisors claim it either isn't in the notes or have them read notes that are substantially different than what the CSR previously read back to me. And even on the occasion where it is in the notes usually the supervisors are minimally apologetic about it and you can tell they intend to do absolutely nothing about it. Usually if you press you can get a little free programming credit for your trouble but they definitely do not as a rule feel obligated to honor whatever was commited to you, even if they acknowledge it was in the notes. This has happened to me numerous times.

That said, in thiss case the no commitment thing seems to be a new policy as I have spoken to at least four CSR's this week and they all acknowledged it and it seemed like something they are all doing now, so I would think it should be easy to get them to do with a little pressing.

12. memnoch

memnoch Billy Gardner

Dec 24, 2004
    Flemington, NJ
    I was also told no commitment for the switch, which is scheduled for Sept 6th, but I added another DVR which then created the commitment. Point is, they told me the same thing for just a switch. Talk to another manager.

13. moab747

moab747 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    SW Ohio
    The difference is between "swap" and "upgrade". I am getting ready to make my third call to try and get what I want. I own an HR10-250 and and old GXCEBOT. I am trying to get a HR20 or HR21, keep my 10-250 and have no new commitment. If they take the 10-250 it is a swap with no commitment but if they leave it they consider it an upgrade with two more years added on. No one is getting my 10-250 and I am not signing on for two years with a HR21 I may not like and be stuck. As for customer retention the first time I called I asked about the AM21 box that allows OTA recording and the nice young lady took 15 min on the internet to read to me about the government rebate program for TVs without digital tuners. The second call wasted 20 min with the guy reading me the Uverse web page to convince me to stay with Dtv. As if I were to dumb to research it myself. I'm getting ready to try again.

14. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Where's the OP?

Is he stuck in CSR limbo?

If and when DirecTV offers my locals in HD, I'll get another HR2x, but will not give up my HR10 as it will record OTA as a backup.

15. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    DTV is very good at this ploy - no written confirmation - whatever it says on the web site goes - oh that CSR must have not understood things.

I'm surprised D* doesn't get in trouble with the FTC or somebody for all of their deceptive practices. After all, the CSR is working for D* and as such is responsible for their actions.

16. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't know about others, but I actually received a postcard in the mail telling me that I was eligible for the free swap with no commitment...

17. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I believe you, but there are many threads here where D* told the client they would not be in a commitment, but only later did they discover that indeed they were 'committed'. I personally think D* is deceptive - they may tell you one thing and then 'accidentally' do something else that sometimes requires a lot of hair-pulling to get straightened out if ever. The 2 biggest examples is swapping owned boxes but then discovering the new boxes are leased, and being told there would be no commitment, but not having any proof.

D* definitely does sometimes do some swaps without requiring the commitment, but buyer beware seems to be the guideline here. It's a shame that a company that allows their representatives to tell the client they are going to do something only to find that some 'system glitch' or other person reneged.

That CSR is a representative of the company and as such, the company should honor what the client was told.