DTT-901 with Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sasjzl, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1 of 21
    sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi all,

I have a Series 1 TiVo that I just got the lifetime subscription going again and all I am needing to do now is to get the correct cable box setting to match my Sylvania DTT901 converter box. I know that TiVo says that this cannot be done with a Series 1 but I had thought I read somewhere that you could do it IF you had certain specific converter boxes like the above mentioned. I remember people recommending a box named "LG" but I do not see the same on my list of cable boxes. I have my IR cable hooked up with the emitter attached to the eye on my converter box. I have tried more than a few of the available cable boxes (starting with "Sylvania") but wanted to see if anyone out there has a Series 1 working with a DTT901 Sylvania box.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 21
    sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I was pointed to this link:
    http://www.gratisoft.us/tivo/dtv.html where a forum member wrote an excellently detailed document on getting his TV converter box which matched my Sylvania DTT901 (aka "Coupon Box") to change channels as directed by the TiVo box. I would rather not pull the disk out and do the hacking required for this but of course will if there is no other way.

Also could someone school me on attaching the IR blaster to the TV converter box. I have a single round sticky one that I have put in the middle of the box where I see the red and blue light. I tried looking at the front with a flashlight but could not tell where the exact eye of the IR is.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim Lee

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 21
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that converter box have yellow, white, red output jacks, or just co-ax on channel 3 or 4?

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 21
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I've only used the one that came with my TiVo, and it's been nearly a year, but doesn't your IR blaster have a little "bump" on it, suggesting that's where its IR light emitter is?

You really should only need to place it near enough to the converter box where the light it emits can be seen by the box's IR sensor.

As for your question regarding matching the box with a set of IR codes, let me see if I can find a thread here on this website that addressed that...

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 21
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Okay.

One was here, the other was from the TiVo website.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462958

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers...al converter box/session/L3NpZC9DZUNLVW91aw==

Oh, if memory serves, hacking your TiVo is only as good as its onboard software. The next time TiVo updates your box in any way (even if only to change the local channel lineup), it can wipe out your hack. You'd be having to re-hack it again and again.

Better to find a box whose code your TiVo already knows.

6. Feb 6, 2012 #6 of 21
    sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    tv converter box has the white,red and yellow output jacks

7. Feb 6, 2012 #7 of 21
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you sure that's a Sylvania and not a Zenith?

(Actually it's probably a made by LG with who knows whose name slapped on it--I think Best Buy had some with the Insignia label)

Anyway you may be able to go from the box's line outs to the TiVo's line inputs and lie to the TiVo about having a satellite box.

The second line in this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8332103#post8332103

may get you the ability to remote control the box by the TiVo.

8. Feb 6, 2012 #8 of 21
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You're still not going to be able to tune the sub-channels. You might want to check your TV listings so see how much of the programming on the sub-channels you are interested in. You could always sell the S1 and buy a lifetime S2. Most S2's will work with most any coupon box.

9. Feb 6, 2012 #9 of 21
    sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks very much.

Some follow up questions from looking at those two links:

* "TiVo Series1 boxes
    Digital antenna support is not available for Series1 boxes. If you are currently using a Series1 box with antenna, you will lose the ability to view over-the-air channels when they are broadcast digitally. Your box will continue to support cable, satellite, and any remaining low-power analog antenna broadcasts. "

This seems contradictory to me. "Antenna support is not available" but "Your box will continue to support ....any remaining low-power analog antenna broadcasts"??

* This link looked good until I saw that it appeared to apply only to Series 2.
    Is there a way that I can upgrade my Series 1 (3.1....) TiVo os to Series 2 like
    9.???

"Planning to purchase a digital-to-analog converter box to use with your antenna and TiVo Series2 DVR? Please make sure your DVR has software version 9.3.1 or later, and check the table below to make sure your converter box is supported."

* This looks very encouraging but I get the feeling it is only valid for Series 2 folks running v9.1 or higher.

Zenith DTT900 and DTT 901 YES 10090

If I can use that code, how would I get it into my TiVo's brain?

I think that I am understanding most of this thread:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462958

....is the bottom line here that if I got any one of these tv converters as a replacement for my "coupon box" Zenith I would be all dressed up and ready to go?

"If you still can, get yourself either a Zinwell Zat 970 or a DTV Pal."

"The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

Below is kind of confusing to me. I am probably not looking in the right place but I do not see a setting for an "LG satellite box". And as above I don't understand how I would enter any of these codes into my TiVo box.

" Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes but 10075 doesn't have an "Enter" code, just digits 0-9. I don't know if either of those two converters need an enter to change channels."

Lastly, I would be really happy just to have the lower local channels if that is possible. Most of what I would want to record is on those anyway.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Jim Lee

Series 1
    v3.1.....

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's no such thing as a digital antenna. The antenna doesn't know how, or even whether, the signal is modulated.

What they mean is digital broadcast. Since the S1 only has an analog (NTSC) tuner, the only thing it can get with an antenna anymore are the few low power analog broadcast stations left, if you're close enough to one.

It can still tune analog cable channels.

If your coupon box puts out a channel 3 or channel 4 analog signal, you can hook an antenna to it and run a piece of coax from it to the tuner input of the TiVo and leave the TiVo on 3 or 4 and use it that way, changing channels with the coupon box's remote. Of course you'd have to do your recordings on the TiVo manually, and they'd be mis-labeled.

Note that that setup will only work for digital broadcast (over the air) signals.

To get a cable box to tune digital cable channels for your TiVo will require a different approach, probably lying about having a satellite box during Guided Setup.

What brand is your S1?

I thought the Philips and Sony S1s ended at software version 3.0 and that 3.1 was for satellite receiver S1s.

11. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    "To get a cable box to tune digital cable channels for your TiVo will require a different approach, probably lying about having a satellite box during Guided Setup.
    What brand is your S1?"

Sony SVR-2000. I cannot check right now but I am pretty sure the version is 3.0

It is a Zenith tv converter box.

I am doing the setup call for the first time and it is not connecting. It obviously downloaded a ton of new information yesterday when I connected it up to my router.
    It seemed to download a bunch of stuff and it now has my information in it but on the 'Setup Call' I am see a line that says:

"Connecting (Failed. Service unavailable)
    With a yield sign in front of the word "Connecting".

I have the dial prefix setup as
    ",#401"
    exactly as I did yesterday when it appeared to be downloading tons of stuff.

I am now on the "Test Phone Connection" page and it is failing in the very same way as above. Is there something other than the dialing prefix that I need to do to tell it I am going through my wireless network. I am hardwired to the router.

I am hoping that when and if I get connected and get into this 'setup call' I will have the opportunity to specify that I am using a LG satellite box. But my first challenge here is to get the darn thing to complete this phone setup deal (sans phone).
    I have the my coax line going into my Zenith TV converter box, then the three RCA wires going into the input of the TiVo.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You aren't the only one with an S1 that's having trouble with the connection to the TiVo server via Ethernet or external modem.

In 2009 and 2010 many people had problems starting around December of those years, including, I think, some people with still working internal modems and regular copper wire telephone service, and some people with S2s had problems as well.

You can find old threads here about it.

It seemed to clear up in early January, but this year it seems to be ongoing.

13. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Somehow, some way, the TiVo Gods have decided to let me in.
    I restarted my venerable series 1 and it phoned home!

I chose to pretend I have DISH satellite.

Now on to the channel changing wars.

It sure does download a bunch of information....

Thanks all and please stay tuned.

Jim Lee

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Good, now maybe my S1s can make like ET and phone home.:)

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The only way would be to go buy a Series 2 which is antenna comaptible.
    Series 1 software ended at 3.1. The Series 1 hardware is totally different than the Series 2, so will not run its OS or software whatsoever.
    Yes, Series 2 only. OTA converters are NOT supported whatsover on Series 1s.
    You need to hack it to access the IRDB, or figure out a compatible satellite or cable box code.

You cannot directly access the code, because Series 1s cannot access the "DTA box" category (the categories, BTW, are TV (for the remote setup menu), cable box (including IPTV), satellite, VCR (only for Sony model TiVos), and OTA-DTA boxes).

Basically yes. If you can get one which whose IR code correlates with that of a cable or satellite box, you can partly use it with a Series 1, using that satellite code and your local satellite lineup (same for cable).

FWIW, the same rules apply to the Series 2 DT, which never supported OTA at all.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm pretty sure the S1 Philips'es do "Save to VCR" the same way the Sony's do, they send out a record IR signal after you tell it which VCR remote code to use.

17. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    The channels are not changing at all but I just told it during the 'phone home' deal that it is/was a Dish Satellite. Which clearly is wrong.

"You need to hack it to access the IRDB, or figure out a compatible satellite or cable box code."

I have been told that if I tell my TiVo that it is a satellite box from LG,
    that might work. So my question right now is, how exactly would I set it to a satellite box from LG. When it was going through the 'phone home' process I do not remember it giving me much of a choice as far as satellites go. I chose Dish just to get on with the 'phone home' regimen. What I am hoping is that there is someone who could tell me how I can select that satellite version on a Series 1.

After that, a hacking we will go.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

18. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you are in the Denver area, bring your converter box by and I will trade it for DTV Pal box that I know the codes to use for it.

19. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    They said it could not be done.....and they were almost right.

Found the "LG" satellite setting and I do not want to speak too soon but I think I am inTiVo land. In the remote settings section I was able to find "LG". It wanted a 4 digit code that I had no idea about so I just left it as is.

There is no way I will be using the guide but I have seen many channels including the subchannels. What happens is the channel 112 will be come 11-2.
    Its kind of strange because I have like 3 'cable' channels that tune in on one sub channel. I am in the process of weeding them out but it sure looks like I will be timing and channeling in the nearest future.

Question. The hard drive on my Series 1 Sony is constantly spinning. This about a full day since I did the 'phone home' thing. I am thiniking of pulling the plug but wondering if it is possible that it should be thrashing about.

Thanks for all your help,
    Jim lee

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The hard drive in any properly working TiVo is always "spinning", because it's always recording and playing back.

You wouldn't have the 30 minute cache of live tv if this were not so.

Better for a drive to run around the clock than to be started and stopped every few minutes.