DTS soundtracks

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by pmiranda, Feb 23, 2012.

1. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I wonder if it's possible to stream a DTS audio track through a TiVo if you lie and say it's an AC3 track that just happens to have a higher bitrate? I'm guessing not since you'd have to modify pyTiVo and/or ffmpeg to pull it off, but I can't help wondering if the TiVo would happily pass it along to my receiver?
    For that matter, has anyone tried sending AC3 with a higher bitrate than 448kbps to a Premiere? I wonder if it would happily handle the extra bandwidth?

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Don't believe this would work. Recent FFmpeg's have an experimental option to mux dca into an MP4 type container. However you probably cannot fool the TiVo like you are hoping. It has an internal decoder that has it's own methods of determining what type of stream something is.

Premiere accepts up to 640kbps just fine.

3. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I thought I remember long ago someone pushing a VOB with dca audio and was able to pass it through to their receiver. Can't say for certain though.

4. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    640kbps AC3 should be good enough. If I want BD 3D I'll have to play off my HTPC anyway... I just hate having to use anything but TiVo :)