DTivo to Fios Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by srjtr7, Aug 13, 2007.

1. srjtr7

srjtr7 New Member

Sep 9, 2002

Advertisements

Hi,

I have had Tivo since they first came out and have had every version of it and finally ended up with DTivo's.

I now have both D* and Fios and want to go HD.....well D* does not offer HD tivo anymore....booooo.

Fios has a DVR...but it is not Tivo.

So, Fios + a HD Tivo, looks like my best option to keep Tivo and go HD.

So if I get the HD Tivo for Fios I need them to give me a Multi CC or 2 CC.

But my big question is what will I lose if anything?

Does anyone know if MRV will be available for the HD Tivo?

What will I gain?

And what should I look out for?

Thanks.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Tivo told reviewers to expect a software update with TivoToGo and MRV before the end of the year. At the moment, it supports neither of those features.

By moving to FiOS, you'll gain significantly improved picture quality with both SD and HD. You'll see more detail / resolution and substantially less blocking and pixelization. The larger your screen, the more difference you will see.

You'll gain several usability enhancements. The DirecTivos use an old version of the Tivo software that lacks most of the usability enhancements Tivo has made in the last year. Examples include overlap protection and the recently deleted folder.

Be aware that the current software on the TivoHD does exhibit intermittent pixelization unrelated to the source signal. This should be fixed in the very near future with a software update, but you'll have to decide whether you want to opt for the TivoHD now or wait for that to be fixed.

The TivoHD also uses the older 8.1.x branch of the Tivo software. While much newer than the software on the DirecTivo, it doesn't have the performance enhancements of the 8.3.x software on the Tivo Series3. The TivoHD should see a noticeable performance boost (in terms of menu and guide responsiveness) when it gets an update to that 8.3.x branch.

3. srjtr7

srjtr7 New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Thanks for the reply.

What is the diff. between the $799 S3 and the $299 S3 HD?

is it just hdd size and the faceplate has changed?

4. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    And THX certification. That's it.

5. Scot Kight

Scot Kight New Member

Nov 5, 2003

Advertisements

btw: either way you go, even with the slow 8.1 based menus on the tivohd, it is VASTLY better than the qip-6416's menu speed.

6. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    Well, a little bit more than that. It has the OLED display on the front of the unit, which displays what the TiVo is recording, it has a more advanced remote control and is (at the moment) easier to upgrade. And it sounds like it has a more stable build.

The differences are minor, but it is a couple of things.

7. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm totally flummoxed as to which box I want. With the falling prices on the series3, I'm tempted, but even at $576, it's the better part of $300 more for what appears to be a larger hard drive, OLED display, THX, and a fancy-schmansy remote.

It also seems like some of the guts are different, but I don't know enough about it to know what's relevant and what's not.

Oh well. I'll probably do the newer one and hope for a software update. I'll be buying in the next three weeks, so until then I have to keep browsing and learning.

8. srjtr7

srjtr7 New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    I just picked up 2 HD Tivo's and have VZW coming next friday.

They said that I would be getting 4 cable cards.

I will let you know what happens.