DTivo & Time Warner digital phone

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bob Coxner, May 30, 2007.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I have two DTivos and I'm considering a switch to Time Warner digital phone service. I know the DTivos will work fine without a phone connection but the nag messages are irritating. I'm wondering if anyone here has had success in connecting with a DTivo and Time Warner? I did a search but most of the posts were related to SA Tivos and the connection results didn't seem to be consistent. I know Tivo itself says the SA Tivos are not compatible with digital phones but others report they got it to work.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    DirecTV TiVos will only work with DirecTV.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    DTivo and VOIP rarely work well together. Spotty at best.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Oops, I assumed he wanted the DTiVo to work with cable TV. :(

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    The OP could always hack both DTivos and never see that annoying nag message ever again. :)

6. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    No, just the digital phone portion of TW. I know there are a lot of problems with DTivo and pure VOIP services, like Vonage, but the cableco offerings by Comcast/TW seem to be a slightly different beast. They claim to run over dedicated pipes rather than the open net but I don't know how much of that is advertising hype and how much is true. I do know that friends with Comcast digital phone seem to have better overall experiences than friends with Vonage. TW even claims to support fax machines and I know Vonage doesn't make such a claim.

Yeah, I could hack but I hate to mess with something that's been running great for 2+ years.

7. l2bengtrek

l2bengtrek New Member

May 31, 2006
    Cincinnati,...
    I've used it with T/W here in Cincy and Brighthouse in Florida which is exactly the same equipment....both times I had no problems getting the Dtivo to dial out over the digital phone service.

8. Jun 1, 2007 #8 of 12
    Books

Books Member

Sep 21, 2001
    NC
    We just switched to Time Warner digital phone yesterday. I had meant to let the Tivo's call in beforehand, but forgot. I hooked up the phone line this morning and am happy to report that there was absolutely no problem phoning in. I didn't have to change any settings.

9. Jun 1, 2007 #9 of 12
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Thanks for the reports of success with TW digital phone! It's not the major part of my decision but I would feel better if I know my DTivos will be able to dial out. I could live with the nag messages but there are rare occasions when they absolutely need to dial out. The botched guide data mess that we had with early daylight savings time a few months ago required a software download and dialing in to activate it. I know I could take the boxes to a house with landlines but, like many of us, I have such a rats nest of wires behind the media center that it would be a serious pain to disconnect them and reconnect them.

10. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Multiple DTiVo's, mess of cable, don't want to mess with it, etc, etc, etc....

Time Warner in Dallas sent out this letter a month ago or so which boils down to "We're discontinuing all phone service except our digital cable offering", so it was "change to this, or you go bye now".

OK fine. I'll do that, I don't want the hassle of getting a new phone number and all the real life issues that poses. I am going to save $25 a month based on a combo package as I have their cable internet offering as well.

After I set it all up, I then thought in the evening "Oh crap, what about the TiVos"? Their CS rep said specifically "this does not work with dial up modems", and their advertising (website, letter) also mentions dialup. So I thought, "**** - after two weeks it's infinite nag screens".

It's nice to hear that it would work. I opted for their "Texas calling plan", which means I can call anywhere in Texas for free, so I'll try the phone number I currently use. If that doesn't use, I'll try switching to other phone numbers and see what happens.

Edit: After googling around for this a bit more, I found this post. Could be interesting. No idea if it actually works or not though.

11. adev25

adev25 New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I use TW here in Albany, with vonage. And once I got the setup, I have had no issues. No crazy strings in front of numbers or anything like that. I did have to upgrade to a new vonage Router and use DMZ but everything works fine. I think the technology has gotten a lot better.

12. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    TWC in Dallas came out and moved me over this morning. After the work was completed, I went around checking everything.

Both of my units (Hughes HDVR2 & R10 DirecTiVo) worked fine afterwards. I didn't have to move cables, I didn't have to change anything with phone numbers or prefixes or anything like that.

My Brinks home security system worked too. Voice quality is a bit scratchy though - might have to look into that, but the TiVo units worked fine.