Dtivo HD or Not?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Markman07, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Markman07

Markman07 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    I saw two HD10-250s and a couple R10's last night at Walmart for around 190 bucks. I was looking for the R15 at the time. (yes I believe it was the DRV because I saw the TIVO logo on the box.) Then again I was in a hurry so I may have to make a trip to verify it.

I don't have a HD TV yet but am hoping by next summer or early fall I can join the fun.
    I have the phase three dish but our area just got locals this last December so I don't see our market getting Local HD for at least a few years.

Our local NBC and FOX both offer HD over the air. I have ABC and CBS distance feeds currently also. Not sure if I could get the HD equivalent of those.

I need to buy a new DVR for the basement tv soon so I was wondering if should just get the HD10-250 and use it anyways (without HD for now)? I would presume no matter when the MPEG format comes out I could still use the OTA portion of the TIVO. I also presume I could use it with my NFL ticket for another year or two before that changes to the new MPEG format.
    I also understand that Directv with update or compensate me when their new DVR- HD comes out some time next summer/fall/winter...

Any comments, suggestions, feedback?
    Thanks!

2. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    if you saw the 10-250 for $190.- i would grab it (free after $200.- mail in rebate). but i doubt that's the correct price. in a local store it would be probably between $550.- and $599.-

besides of that i would not buy any equipment before you can use it. technology moves too fast to buy something you might use in 9 months.

3. Markman07

Markman07 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Crap! I went back and as many of you know the R10 box and probably many other Directv receiver boxes have the same design but different colors. I was wrong! It was just a Directv HD receiver.

Besides that the other two DVR receivers were the R10's and there were no R15's in site..