DTA Alternative

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MAD827, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MAD827

MAD827 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I would like some advice form the community on the following idea before I go forward. Since the analog to digital switch a few months back one of my spare TVs only gets a few basic channels, I detest the cable boxes and DTAs from Comcast, so I was wondering if a Series 2 or 3 (with no subscription) would do the trick. I am contemplating picking up a used Series 2 or 3 (from eBay or Craigslist) and using it in place of a Comcast digital adapter. I am hesitant to get a service subscription for it because I rarely use that TV, I just need it to allow me to receive the additional digital channels, the guide menu is not a huge concerns. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are all welcomed. :D

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    An S2 will not work, they too need a DTA or cable box. The S3 should work as a tuner.

3. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Although, you will probably still need a CableCard.

4. MAD827

MAD827 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up... I guess that rules out a S2.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not if he just wants the ability to tune the clear QAM channels. Can't get guide data for them but he doesn't intend to subscribe the TiVo anyway so that is not an issue.

6. MAD827

MAD827 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    @lpwcomp, you are correct about the guide data. So if I got a S3 would it be able to unscramble the digital channels similar to what the Comcast DTA does?

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    What's the problem with a DTA? They're free (the first 3, anyway), they come with a remote, and this is only a spare TV...

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The S3 would only be able to properly tune to "Clear QAM", i.e. unencrypted channels. I don't know what that includes, particularly in your area. OTOH, the S3 should be able to tune the local HD feeds which the DTA probably can't. Even on an SD TV, I watch the HD versions of ABC and CBS since I prefer letterboxed 16:9 to cropped 4:3.

I just occurred to me - I wonder if you could get a free CableCARD in lieu of a DTA? Still no guide data but you might have access to more channels. Then again, I don't know if you can properly pair a CableCARD to an unsubbed TiVo.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you do get a used TiVo, hopefully it won't force you to go through guided setup. If it does, it may be toast since it has no way to "phone home" and it's unsubbed. I've never tried to set up an unsubbed TiVo.

I have tried to set up a TiVo that couldn't communicate. It was a Series 1 with a fried modem (didn't know it was fried). It got stuck in guided setup.

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I dont know why people are afraid of cable boxes. When Comcast went to the adapters they gave my parents two of them for free. However, they were not set up correctly for our area and didnt work when we tried to self install them. I called Comcast and found out that the digital started package was the same price as the basic analog package but also included On Demand, the music channels and a lot of the free movie channels like AMC. Instead of the adpter box they gave my parents actual cable boxes.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't know if anyone is "afraid" of cable boxes. In some locales (including Atlanta), after the first one, there is an additional charge.