DT Update

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cannonz, Nov 19, 2011.

1. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone else's series 2DT get very large update? Or is it because new drive was put in a couple of days ago and it's getting a lot of recent updates at once?

2. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Not mine but what version are you up to?

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you just put in a re-imaged hard drive, it's very possible that image came from an earlier version of the software.
    If that is the case, it's no surprise you got an update. The Tivo just updated itself to the current version.

4. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    9.3.2b-01-2-649 Only took 15 minutes to prepare, screen said might take hour or more. I think it was because of new drive, would have been it's first normal daily update after the several it did other night to build up guide.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds about right. With a fresh hard drive, the first two calls to the Tivo servers after guided setup get guide data. The third call usually gets the software update (if needed).

BTW in the future, you can speed up this process by having the Tivo manually connect as opposed to waiting for the Tivo call on its own.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    9.3.2b is very old now, BTW. But it's still the current version. It looks like it will be the last version for the Series 2. :(

7. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Usually, the drives you buy pre-imaged have an older version of SW. As a footnote, the image I gave you a link to will be an older image because that is what shipped on the DT.

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Which is not a problem because I've been on it at least a couple of years with no problems...

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Maybe, if your only concern is that it has no problems. Me, I'd like to see it brought up to date with the software used on other TiVos, to the extent possible (and that's a considerable extent), rather than just abandoned.

I wouldn't even agree that it has no problems, though. The HME engine is broken compared to how it was it 7.2, for example -- it can't even run the sample Animation app from TiVo's own SDK without crashing the TiVo.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I'd really like to see an update too, and I'm not talking about things the hardware can't handle like Netflix. Just a few things that come to mind are:

Folder play / delete

The Crestron remote control interface

Online NPL & ToDo

Another thing I'd like to see across the entire line is additional IR codes for alphanumeric entry. Even the Premire remote uses less than 40 of the 256 possible codes, leaving plenty of room. It wouldn't help the average peanut remote user but for those of us with universal remotes it would be a nice feature.