DSR708 may have finally died - help needed

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jedis, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    It's been awhile since I've been here... You last visited: 09-23-2007, to be exact ;) The past couple of days it has been locked up when I got home from work and I had to unplug it and plug it back in.

When I got home today, it was making a clicking sound, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It doesn't even make the usual starting up sound and no lights will light up on the front. There's a faint sound coming from the unit - it could either be a fan or maybe the hard drive itself?

Would a bad hard drive stop it from doing anything when plugged in, including making the normal "beep" of the drive spinning up and the lights coming on?

Wondering what I should do at this point. Is it likely to be just a dead hard drive or is it unit itself dead? What should I do to check? I do not want a new box from DirecTV and would like to get this one working again. It was hacked and had the fake call script, backdoors activated, and the last update was the one that fixed the DST issues - ie, the fast, smoothly running update. The R10's in the house are slow and laggy in comparison, since those couldn't be hacked.

2. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Our Series2 dies a couple of months ago. Tech support said nothing could be done. We ordered a power supply from Weaknees and it started up :( I wanted an excuse to buy another new one. We also have to order a fan, so it is on StandBy

3. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA
    one of 2 possible problems, one your hard drive is toast (I don't think that is your problem), I think your Power supply is is bad, you will need to replace it (or solder in a new capitor if you are that handy)

4. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Thanks for the response. Is there an easy way to inspect the power supply and determine if that is the problem? I don't want to spend the money on a new power supply unless I'm sure that is the problem.

I'm going to pull the HDD tomorrow and scan it to see if it's gone bad. While I'm in there, anything to look for?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The usual problem with these power supplies is an electrolytic capacitor that has gone bad. Sometimes you'll see it with a bulge or even a leak.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could try buying another used dsr708 and swap parts until yours works again. Or it might be easier to switch over to the one you just bought.

7. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    What happened with ours, the HD was spinning - the tech said hat usually meant the HD was fried. I did not want to turn it off, but it was 64C. We watched it go down to 63C. The tech said turn it off to let it cool faster (which I regretted since it was on / working).

8. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Some pics after opening it up:

IMG_20110417_222353.jpg : the entire board in the red box is the power supply, I believe?

IMG_20110417_222401.jpg : the capacitor in the red box was on a diagonal. I moved it so it's straight up/down, but I imagine that won't make a difference. It should not be lose correct? This is likely the source of the problem?

Do I need to buy the exact same power supply? I found this one, but it's a lot more expensive than the other Tivo power supplies on there. Will any of the others work?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you have identified the power supply. That the capacitor was not standing up straight is not a problem. Does that capacitor or the big one next to it show any bulging or discoloration of the wrapper?

The eBay item you link to looks like the right one to me. The price seems reasonable.

10. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    No, they all look to be fine. I thought the leaning capacitor was a problem...

Is all that white stuff normal? Other than that, everything looks fine.

What else could the problem be? Is it still likely the power supply died? The hard drive came up good. Should I spend the money on a new power supply?

11. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    Disconnect the hard drive then power it up. I think you should at least get the "Powering Up" screen. If not, likely (but not always) is a bad power supply.

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The "white stuff" is hot-melt glue and is normal.

13. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Ok, with the hard drive disconnected, I do get the "Welcome, powering up" screen. So this should mean it's definitely the power supply then, since it doesn't come up when the HDD is connected (not able to supply enough power)?

I ran HDTune on the HDD, and it doesn't find any bad blocks on it, so I believe the hard drive is fine.

Once I hear from you, I will most likely purchase a replacement power supply. Thanks!

14. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA
    sounds like a bad power supply, time to replace it!

15. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Just an update. I ordered a new power supply from eBay. I will post back when I receive it and let everyone know if that fixed the problem.

Thanks!

16. Jedis

Jedis New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Got the new power supply today. Installed and and my DSR708 has sprung back to life!

Thanks everyone for the help! I appreciate it.