DSR6000 drive help needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by JeffS, Mar 11, 2006.

1. JeffS

JeffS Member

May 12, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I've got a DSR6000 that's been running well for quite a while, but now it's stuttering. Everything I've read on the board (thank you search) says that it's most likely my hard drives going. This is where I need a little help...

When I first bought it, it was a 2 dive unit with a 15 and 30. I upgraded it with an 80 and 120 within the first few months. It's been fine until now. Lately I've been hearing the hard drives making a lower than normal whirring noise, and most recently recorded programs are starting to "skip". The audio skips and knocks out for a second, and then comes back, and sometimes it takes a lil' for it to get in sync with the video.

I'd like to replace the drives with the least pain possible. But maybe make a few adjustments.

Ideally, I'd just go and pick up a 250 gig drive and load it up. I've read that the 136gig limit can be avoided, with a kernal hack. Won't the kernal get "fixed" to the correct one after a call home to Tivo? I know it has to call in for software updates, and to stop annoying me.

I'd also like to keep all the existing programming that's on my unit with the change to the new drive(s). Is this possible? Especially, is it possible going from two drives down to one?

If the above options aren't possible, here is the other thought I had in mind, but wanted to see if it would work. It sounds like from some of the posts that I can use dd to just copy drive to drive, and be done. If that's the case, I'd probably replace the 80/120 that's in there right now with a 120/120. With that in mind, could I rerun the mfsadd so that it would see all of the space without losing my existing recordings?

Thanks for any help.
    -Jeff

2. JeffS

JeffS Member

May 12, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    ^ bump ^

3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The DSR6000 OS was never upgraded with a LBA48 kernel so no call home will ever "fix" it. You'll need to get a pre-hacked LBA48 kernel for a series 1 DTivo or find out how to hack one yourself to make it LBA48-aware.

4. JeffS

JeffS Member

May 12, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Cool. I've seen the posts, on how to add the lba48 kernel, and it doesn't look that difficult.

I just recall, that people who added the tivo hacks, had to readd them after a call home and/or an os upgrade, but I couldn't remember which. Since my OS is no longer in development, I may as well go to town with it.