DRT-800 won't save to disc!

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Y2scoob, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Y2scoob

Y2scoob New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    This unit will do everything else, but when I go to save shows to dvd, it will stick on the 0% saving display on the unit, and won't do anything else til I manually cancel the saving. I can play a dvd in the drive. It opens and shuts fine. Nothing is wrong until I go to save something to dvd. I've used every type of dvd media out there, with no results.

Anyone know a fix to this, or am I out of luck and have to buy a new drive?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    What kind of media have you tried? The TiVos with DVD burners are a little old, so they want older media.

In the manual, it states that you must use DVD-R with a maximum of 4X recording speed and DVD-RW with a maximum of 2X recording speed. I've had some success with DVD-Rs rated at 8X and limited success with DVD-Rs rated at 16X. I've been able to use DVD-RWs that have a max of 2x recording speed, but if you try 4X media, you get a broken disc icon which means the disc is not compatible.

You cannot use DVD+R or DVD+RW or DVD-DL media.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

3. Y2scoob

Y2scoob New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Well, upon checking the last media I tried, it has a maximum speed of 16x. I've never used a DVD+R or DVD+RW.

I'll try to find some DVD's with a max speed of 4x and see if that could solve the problem...

4. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Could you remove the DVD drive and try it in a PC? If it won't burn then the record laser is dead. Buy a suitable replacement for $35 or so....

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Anything up to 8x media tends to work OK - I've used 8x DVD-R for ages. But when they created 16x DVD-R they had to change the physical characteristics of the discs to allow them to be written at higher speeds. These changes reduced compatibility with older drives, and that is likely the source of the trouble.